What area do you feel you need to improve in the most?

hehe yah background come after legs and tails ;) - since I tend to stick to wildlife rather than people background are not so much of a problem for me - at least I don't fret about them as much since I can't control my subject. The only time I do take notice is in zoos and the like where I try to avoid bars in the background.

Composition, composition and composition.

Processing and photoshop. I know my images can be better, but I can guarantee, Im doing something that there is a better way of doing. :grumpy:

I would like to get a nice ink jet printer and start learning how to do that.

I want to learn more about business and marketing.

I've always been fashion challenged. I'd like to learn more about how to make people look good. I'd like to be able to do a better job helping people choose outfits, make-up, hair, etc... I've learned a lot about basic posing, but I wish I was better at identifying and solving "problems" with a person's looks (particularly related to weight, as everyone is concerned with that). I sometimes miss things like a pose that makes someone's arm look fat, etc...

I gotta ween myself off of doing anything 'automatically' and become more adept at setting everything intentionally. (I'm pretty new to DSLR)

My biggest area for improvement is consistency both in the shooting and the post processing. Getting a series of images together in the same colorspace sometimes is just a pain in the rear (I routinely shoot with multiple sources of disparate light). I can churn out a series that's close, but unless I have absolute control over the light, I'm constantly fighting white balance issues.

Being a snapshot shooter (or would that be a 'point-n-shooter'?) for so long, I'm in the "I need to improve on everything" category. Heck, although I've been "editing" pics for years, I'm very weak in that subject, too, as most of what I do is so basic it's rediculous (crop, resize and "auto enhancing;" very little more.)

Don't get frustrated. Freezing action is not difficult, and if you are challenged by it, it is becuase your understanding of the basics are not firmly in place... and the good news is that they are easy to get down. Also, please don't think that even the most consummate of photographers can shoot perfect pictures 100% of the time.

Photography comes with patience and practice. Have fun! :)

For me... all the technical stuff is a walk in the park, it always has been. I can reverse engineer a picture and come darn close to knowing how it was lit and by what. However, my weakest areas are composition and directing the model(s) to do do what I want, so in that sense, I lack vision and experience. It is improving a lot, though as I am fortunate enough to have access to a group with some very talented people and I am starting to rack up the experience needed.

Hi Jerry,

My apologies, I didn't see this until just now.

Thanks for the feedback - and I agree with you 100% - which is why I am sort of starting over and getting back to basics with Nikon school in January.

I've learned pieces of information here and there and figured some out on my own - I just hope that the instructor is really good.

TwoRails, I would have said all those things a year ago. I'm still not very good but I've learned A LOT in a year. I suspect that you will, too.

Place me in the "everything" group! I've learned so much in my first year but I have so much more to learn. I'll get there someday.

Artistic/creative vision - I know there are many things I pass by and ignore or never even consider shooting that many members here would've taken awesome shots of. I've never been a very artistic/creative person which probably makes it seem stupid for me to have taken up photography, but I really do enjoy it. Especially when you get that one shot that makes you say "Yah, that's sweet!". Hopefully with perserverance my artistic/creative vision will develop (pun intended. ;) )

TwoRails, I would have said all those things a year ago. I'm still not very good but I've learned A LOT in a year. I suspect that you will, too.
Thanks for the encouragement, Fox Paw :) -- Finding TPF, and all the great people here, has been a good eye-opener for me. Quite humbling, too. There is so much to learn and TPF is a fantastic place to do so!

Yeah, I steal some of my best ideas here. :)

Most reactions

Back