What bad luck I have! C&C

CameronDelray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So today was my first DAY with my D40, and as I set out to take some shots, it was VERY gloomy and cloudy. I managed to grab a couple good shots before it started sprinkling on me, and I quickly bagged up and headed out.

I'm a newb (this is my first actual shoot other than my parents lol), so all C&C is welcome. I can take it. :)

1.)
2924239989_4a83e5ab55.jpg

2.) This one came out brighter than I intended (I need to adjust my color management in PS), so I will go back and edit this a little later. I also don't like this shot very much because the railing on the Gazebo is the same pattern as the chair, so the chair really blends in with it. But it looked like it'd make for a nice photo.
2924239991_b821fd6b0a.jpg

Thanks!

Nice first shots! but these don't really do anything for me..perhaps a wider shot on the first and on the 2nd the chair blends in with the fence behind it. Keep practicing though!

Thanks! I'm still a newb at this photography thing, but I'm determined enough, and take criticism well enough to improve greatly. :p

Yeah, I just edited my post and added that I hated how the chair blended in with the railing. It really takes away from the actual shot of the chair.

Hmmm wider? You think possibly I resized it too small? I'm thinking that might be it. Or maybe I could go in and crop a bit of the top off (since it was so gloomy anyway) and resize it then, so it'd be wider.

Yeah, I just edited my post and added that I hated how the chair blended in with the railing. It really takes away from the actual shot of the chair.

Hmmm wider? You think possibly I resized it too small? I'm thinking that might be it. Or maybe I could go in and crop a bit of the top off (since it was so gloomy anyway) and resize it then, so it'd be wider.

Oh, I just saw the pictures and didn't read that comment you made.

What I meant by wider was..either zoom out or step back a little, so the bench isn't the only thing in the shot. Here are 2 examples..it's not my work so I'll post links.

http://www.quickonthenet.com/2006/10543/pix/gallery/PARKBENCHDSC_3724-B&W.jpg

http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/photos/snow_bench_tree_trinity_park.jpg

Ohhhh ok I see what you mean.
I'll definitely give that a shot when it stops raining and I can get outside again. :(
Thanks!

I like your second one better than your first, but not bad for first shots!
I agree with what the other poster said, but for this shot, possibly try to crop out as much of that blown out sky as possible, if that wouldn't look too choppy, and then black and white it.
Benches look REALLY nice in black and white.

The second one, again, crop that sky out, and I wish you wouldn't have cut out the one leg, but like I said, not bad for just getting your camera yesterday.:mrgreen:

I'd say to black and white that one, but I'm afraid there is just not enough dark objects in the picture to show enough contrast.

Thanks Chewbacca. I hate that it was so gloomy today, I think if it was nice out, the sky/clouds would have looked so nice. I'll try cropping out the blown out sky and see what I can come up with.

And about the chair picture, it had actually started sprinkling as I was taking that picture, so I sort of hurried it. But I'll remember next time to make sure I get the whole subject into the shot. :]

Also, I forgot to include this shot from the group I got today. It really has no point, and is nothing special to look at, but I'm just trying to get the focusing, coloring, and proper settings down at the moment. So C&C on this one too please. :D

2924443569_591f31e770.jpg

I actually like that one! If you straightened it out and possibly got more of the steps I think it would be an even better picture!..One question, what processing do you do to your images before posting? I'd say saturation, contrast and sharpen :)

Thanks Chewbacca.

I thought this was kind of funny..it's "Chewbecca" ;)

Last edited:
A good idea would be to start practicing how to level up your photos. It will be a much needed skill to learn when it comes time to taking photos of lanscapes, architecture, and portraits. Believe me, it is such a pain to have to rotate and crop unleveled photos. You kind of waste some pixels too. You should also start practicing the Rule of Thirds if you haven't already.

just my 2bit newbie suggestions

Haha sorry about that, I could have sworn it said Chewbacca. O_O
My apologies!

My PP process basically consists of what you said, with the exception of some high pass effects with different blending modes on the layers, and the occasional burn/dodge to lighten/darken areas.

Thanks guys for the feedback. :)

My PP process basically consists of what you said, with the exception of some high pass effects with different blending modes on the layers, and the occasional burn/dodge to lighten/darken areas.

Thanks guys for the feedback. :)

I use the same technique :)..I just don't use dodge or burn..I use high pass, but just never try messing around with the different blending modes. I'll have to give it a shot today! Thanks for the idea! :)

I like that third shot, I also like what you were going for in #1, the angle is awesome!

Most reactions

Back