what brand of film is best..

babsgoodman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Canon Rebel K2, I thought I read somewhere on here once, that there is a difference in different kind of film, What type of film do most of you suggest as being the best, Kodak, Fuji ect.

I have become a fan of Fuji's product line since the lab that processes my film uses the Fuji system and I am happy with the results. Most everyone who has seen my pictures are impressed with the color.

What ever brand of film you chose, use that same brand of paper

Kodak film-Kodak paper
Fuji film-Fuji paper

It's personal, and purely opinion. You'll need to try a few, and see which films work best for you. When I say "try", I don't mean one or two rolls. It may take 8 or 12 to start getting a feel for how a film reacts with your style, gear, lab, etc...

It's hard to say that one brand of film is better than another...they are different, the trick is to find one (or a few) that work for you.

You have to realize that with color negative film, a large part of how the prints look...is determined by the lab. You can take the same film to different labs (different machine & paper etc.) and get totally different results. You can even get different results depending on the lab tech running the machine.

Some labs will do better with particular films, ones that match their machine & paper...or just film that they are familiar with. I have had good luck buying the lab's store brand of film...usually buying the processing included film to save money.

I have either worked in or owned a lab for over fifteen years. I like the royal paper by kodak but the fuji film. A good lab will ballance the film chanels weekly, a few different ones each day. (ie: kodak 100, 200,400 on monday fuji 100,200,400 on tuesday etc) If you shooting slow film kodak vps is great, fast film fuji super g 800 is also great black and white in color process kodak has the only good one. Agfa has some very good films that are mid range ie:200 and 400 speeds. When buying the lab brand look and make sure it's not polorid or 3m even tho you bring it back to that lab, you just may not bring it back and most labs do not do a good job with that film. But in the end it's your choise just like ford or chev. Look at what your shooting and remember kodak is a yellow base film and does well for people and fuji is a blue base film and is great for landscapes and agfa is great in both cases. I own and shoot canon, but am not a fan of the rebel so you might just stay with mid range speeds ( 200 & 400)

Keith

Most reactions

Back