What bridge should I choose?

Zaner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,
I am interested in purchasing a new bridge camera for an all-around camera. I want to buy a new DSLR, or maybe a film SLR, but for now I want a good all-purpose camera to take with me.
I have narrowed my choices down to 3 cameras (unless someone else has other recommendations). The 3 choices are as follows: (they are in order of how well I like them) Canon PowerShot SX50 HS, Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR, and the Fujifilm FinePix SL1000. I know that the Fuji cameras are both newer than the Canon, but I have had a lot of very good firsthand experiences with the canon PowerShot Bridge cameras, and I have read and seen a lot too. There are a ton of very nice reviews about it, though, there are many regarding the other cameras too. I would very much like to hear the opinions of the other members here.
Currently, my biggest concern is finding a wireless remote switch for the cameras, and I am not even sure if the SL1000 has one available for it. I don’t think that Fuji makes one, but does anyone know of a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party remote for the Fuji FinePix SL1000? Also, I am looking for a wireless remote for the Canon SX50 HS. Any good advice there?
The reason why I made these cameras my choices because I want a bridge camera that can do Long exposures, bulb photography (which I don’t think any of these do), and I particularly like high speed videos,time lapse and cool light effects. I know that my results will be much better with a DSLR/SLR, but remember, please, that I am looking for an all-around bridge camera (unless anyone has any better ideas, keeping in mind what I am looking for).
Thank you all,
Zane. ;)

Last edited:
I use the Panasonic FZ200, an excellent allround bridge with a bright (F2.8 all the way), 25-600mm Leica zoom.
The focus is fast for a bridge, up to 12 fps burst, high speed video and you can find wireless remotes for it on Amazon. (some can be used for time lapse)
Rudi

Last edited:
Do you need these cameras' long zoom range? If you don't, you can get a camera with a much shorter zoom range, but one that's more advanced and can actually do what you want to achieve.
In that case, this article should help: Enthusiast compact camera roundup (2014): Digital Photography Review
Keep in mind that since the article was written, the Fujifilm X30 -- which is, naturally, the successor to the X20 covered in the article -- was announced, with a few major changes to ergonomics, but mostly minor changes to the actual image capture & processing chain.

Olympus SP-560UZ is an old bridge camera which had a 8 minute bulb mode. I'm sure there must be some upgraded version of it by now, you can do the research. I've been shooting with SX50 for a relatively long time now, and it doesn't have a bulb mode (30 Sec exposure max). It's great as long as you don't need to shoot in dark or overcast weathers. The low light performance is not that great. Other than that, you can check out my signature for samples of what SX50 is capable of.

I own the sx40hs canon
I like it, the sx50 seems to be good
Buy what you like
Look on other sites for reviews
Dont listen to people that seem to know it all , if it fits your needs and its your money buy it.

don't know but I am interested in how you make out since I am thinking of buying another bridge camera.

A good friend of mine just asked me to recommend him a bridge camera.
After some research I found the only 2 cameras I would feel comfortable to recommend are the Sony RX10 and Panasonic FZ1000.
Both have 1" sensor and are good options.
In the beginning I was more leaning toward the Sony because of its f2.8 constannt aperture but then I changed my ind and recommended the Panasonic.
So I would also recommend you the Panasonic FZ1000, it is more expensive but it is far superior to any other bridge camera (except the Sony) because of its low light capability and fairly fast lens (f2.8-4)
Its not cheap but I think well worth its value if bridge camera is yuor only option.

After some research I found the only 2 cameras I would feel comfortable to recommend are the Sony RX10 and Panasonic FZ1000.
In the beginning I was more leaning toward the Sony because of its f2.8 constannt aperture but then I changed my ind and recommended the Panasonic.
So I would also recommend you the Panasonic FZ1000, it is more expensive but it is far superior to any other bridge camera (except the Sony) because of its low light capability and fairly fast lens (f2.8-4)
***Its not cheap but I think well worth its value if bridge camera is yuor only option.
I would suggest another Panasonic to research. It has great IQ,, f2.8 across the board and is quite a bit less than the excellent FZ1000.

***Its not cheap but I think well worth its value if bridge camera is yuor only option.
I would suggest another Panasonic to research. It has great IQ,, f2.8 across the board and is quite a bit less than the excellent FZ1000.
FZ200 - Nowhere near the FZ1000's level, but very good in comparison to more ordinary superzooms.

FZ200 - Nowhere near the FZ1000's level, but very good in comparison to more ordinary superzooms.
My friend sold his Sony DSLR because he didnt feel like carrying around all the lenses, he want as close performance as possible to his Sony.
For my knowledge the only bridge cameras that have a 1" sensor are the Sony RX10 and Panasonic FZ1000, other bridge cameras are good but their low light performance seriously suck.
Already the FZ1000 will be a significant step down from his Sony

I wanted a Bridge camera because I didn't want to have to carry around lenses. I just wanted something easy and manageable.
Earlier this year, I had acquired a Leica V-Lux 4 (Lumix FZ200) which while nice was far too small for my hands. So, I started looking at alternatives: SONY RX10 & LUMIX FZ1000 and looked at them really closely.

In the end I decided upon the LUMIX FZ1000 for the following reasons:

* the size of the camera
* location of controls and dials
* 4K video capabilities
* range of zoom
* brightness of and information in viewfinder

the one downfall is that unlike the FZ200 and SONY RX10, the FZ1000 does NOT maintain a 2.8 aperture throughout its entire focal range, but then again there will always be compromises with Bridge cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back