nossie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.quitealright.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a bigger bag.
I want to carry this kit: Body, 70-200L, 24-105L, ?maybe a wide angle? or a couple of primes, 580ex flash, cards and a tripod or monopod.
My prefered mode of transport is to cycle so it's going on my back and not in saddle bags but I do sweat like I've been rained on.

Amazon doesn't have a great choice and what's there isn't really getting thumbs up. What do you boys n girls rely on?

I have several Lowepro bags and I can testify to their high quality and well designed layout. The backpack I have is the Computrekker AW and it should be about the right size to hold that list of equipment. It does have tripod holding capabilities, but it's right on the back of the bag. I think I would prefer the bags that hold the tripod on the side, like the Naturetrekker style.

I use Tamrac bags, and have never really used anything else. Works fine for me.

Lowepro and Tamrac are fine... I have a Tamrac backpack (which isn't used that often) and a Lowepro shoulder. My only big gripe with either is that they look like photobags. I don' like the look nor do I want to be a target for thieves. I usually use a comfortable bag (messenger from "The Gap" clothing store) and an insert.

I also like Domke bags as they are made of durable canvas and don't have that typical camera bag look. I've been eyeing them but never actually purchased one.

A backpack sounds sensable for a cyclist but I would be afraid that having heavy gear high on my back would introduce a bit of instability during cycling.

I also like the sling bags from lowe pro... they come in three sizes.

I don' like the look nor do I want to be a target for thieves
Crumpler makes several camera bags that do not look like camera bags.

Hello fellow cyclist.

I like to get around by bike too, either a slick road bike, or a hybrid which is more suited for the city.
I own a Lowepro Slingshot 300 and in it go - 30D(with grip and 17-55+lens hood attached at all times)+the huge and heavy Sigma 70-200 2.8+the huge and heavy 580 exII.
Accessories in main compartment include battery charger, spare battery, cards, Lumisphere knock-off(think of a medium sized soup bowl. Space could be used for two primes easily), Ebay flash triggers, six AA batteries in grip's adapter.
With current setup i could probably fit in another zoom or a couple of small primes, maybe.

I don't think the bag, when fully loaded, is suited for long walks or treks. The weight isn't distributed well, and is carried on one shoulder. But it does have waist straps and they do help alot, if adjusted properly.

It has some weird loops on the back, which could be used for attaching stuff.

As to riding a bike with all that weight - not a great joy, i must say. But that's true with any bag that doesn't go on a rack. Sweat wise - this bag can be adjusted such that the weight is on the waist straps, and with the shoulder strap loosened, the bag barely touches your back when in the saddle. So that's great, actually. But you will get a band of sweat around your waist and on your shoulder.

All in all, i love it. Very versatile and thoughtfully designed. If you get it, sling it over to your chest and rest your elbows on it when shooting - very useful when using a tele.

Good luck.

I don' like the look nor do I want to be a target for thieves.
A backpack sounds sensable for a cyclist but I would be afraid that having heavy gear high on my back would introduce a bit of instability during cycling.
I also like the sling bags from lowe pro... they come in three sizes.

As far as thieves go a bag is a bag and it doesn't matter if you have rocks in it, they'll still take it.
Instability on a bike?! When we were kids we got 14 of us on a Raleigh Chopper. We not have been the fastest but we were probably the toughest hehe. When we were learning how to cycle we used our ears for stabilisers.

Hello fellow cyclist.
I like to get around by bike too, either a slick road bike, or a hybrid which is more suited for the city.
I own a Lowepro Slingshot 300

I don't think the bag, when fully loaded, is suited for long walks or treks. The weight isn't distributed well, and is carried on one shoulder. But it does have waist straps and they do help alot, if adjusted properly.

It has some weird loops on the back, which could be used for attaching stuff.

As to riding a bike with all that weight - not a great joy...
Won't these bags slide around when you're cycling? I have a single strap bag like this but not for camera gear and it's a fekking torment for cycling as I must keep pushing it away from my legs and around to my back where it should be.
If it's not good for walking too then hmmm?! I won't always be on the bike.

Crumpler makes several camera bags that do not look like camera bags.
A bag is a bag is a bag to any thief.

I should also mention that I go like a really pissed off charging bull when I'm on the bike, I'm never going to change so lots of padding would be a good idea if I come down or hit something. Sweating is a gimme, I can go in a loose t-shirt and I'll still be drenched, it's to do with the charging bull syndrom I guess.

A bag is a bag is a bag to any thief.
Maybe...but if a thief looks into a locked vehicle and sees an obvious camera bag, the lure to smash your window might be greater than it they only see a nondescript bag.

Also, I've heard of people using diaper bags for their camera gear...who in their right mind would steal a diaper bag? :lol:

Although, I don't choose my bags based on how they look to thieves...I look at functionality.

I will mention that my camera backpack has padding on the back and it isn't nice when working up a sweat.

Won't these bags slide around when you're cycling? I have a single strap bag like this but not for camera gear and it's a fekking torment for cycling as I must keep pushing it away from my legs and around to my back where it should be.
If it's not good for walking too then hmmm?! I won't always be on the bike.

It's fine for walking around, but i wouldn't recommend it to people with bad backs or special sensitivities, who intend to use it as a trekking bag.. And about the sliding to the side - the aforementioned waist straps take care of that.

I usually use a comfortable bag (messenger from "The Gap" clothing store) and an insert..

What do you use for an insert? I am considering this, having tried a couple bags (LowePro sling and shoulder bags and still not found one that suits my needs...

Also, I've heard of people using diaper bags for their camera gear...who in their right mind would steal a diaper bag? :lol:

Good idea - but I'm still trying to find the right diaper bag. Part of the challenge is that I almost always have my 2 1/2 year old with me, and am expecting another in January... so in addition to my camera and usually one extra lens, wallet, phone, water bottle, I also need to carry some kid stuff, i.e. diapers, wipes, baby sling, usually an extra shirt. But the smaller the bag, the better... I'm looking at this one: http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7540_4763.html but like the idea of an insert to keep the camera gear separate.

Has anyone tried a Shootsac?

Most reactions

Back