What camera company has the cheapest lenses?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me explain this a little more clearly than the title would allow. I want a camera from a company with a lot of compatibility. A lot of companies (like Pentax and Sony/Minolta) will let you use old film lenses on their new cameras. This is a must for me (sorry, Olympus), as I am poor and want something to learn with. With that being said, everyone says, "Pentax has really cheap lenses you can buy!" But I want ones that will be compatible with all the new bells and whistles, like TTL and stuff like that. And I can't find out if these old cheap Pentax lenses are capable of doing this. I was under the impression that the old cheap Pentax primes people talk about are manuals. And I would really like one that is automatic OR manual, depending on my mood :)

Anyway, I want to know what company has the least expensive lenses (either new or old) that are fully integratible (I made up a new word) with the new systems. I was thinking Sony or Pentax, but don't know this for sure. Either way, help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I think you'd be pretty safe going with any Canon, Nikon, or Sony... you can get very inexpensive lenses for either. (starting at like $30). You wouldn't want to get anything much worse.

I'm still biased against Canon for screwing me over in the late 80's for changing mount styles ... so as far as Canon is concerned you are good for at least the last 17-18 years.

Nikons are supposed to go back to the 70's

Not if he wants "all the bells and whistles". AI and AI-S lenses (especially primes) are magnificent, but they won't meter and they won't autofocus (even AF mounts won't autofocus on D40/x, D60) on a consumer body (D40/x, D60, D80). You'll have to deal with these old lenses if you want cheap glass. I love them, but they aren't for everybody.

Let me explain this a little more clearly than the title would allow. I want a camera from a company with a lot of compatibility. With that being said, everyone says, "Pentax has really cheap lenses you can buy!"

Reason, Pentax's old manual K-mount lenses are known to be optically good. They are not just cheap.. they are optically sound.

But I want ones that will be compatible with all the new bells and whistles, like TTL and stuff like that. And I can't find out if these old cheap Pentax lenses are capable of doing this. I was under the impression that the old cheap Pentax primes people talk about are manuals. And I would really like one that is automatic OR manual, depending on my mood :)

First of all... using old Pentax lenses (K-mount) will still provide the following:

* TTL metering
* Auto stop down of aperture diaphragm
* Compatibility in Av, Tv, and P modes IF the K-mounts are "A" not "M" lenses.
In other words, a newer SMC-A pentax manual lens will give you a lot of functionality found in the newer lenses with the exception of auto focus.

Please define what you mean by "automatic" or "manual" in the last sentence above.

Anyway, I want to know what company has the least expensive lenses (either new or old) that are fully integratible (I made up a new word) with the new systems. I was thinking Sony or Pentax, but don't know this for sure. Either way, help would be GREATLY appreciated!

The problem with buying lenses with the latest designs at the least expensive prince point is the questionable quality of the optics. On the other hand, this might not matter to you depending on your tastes. Many inexpensive lenses work fine stopped down within the limitations.

When it comes to compatibility and availability, I think Pentax is still the one. Throw on an Adaptall 2 mount and Tamron's Adaptall line is now viable. Throw on an M42 to Kmount adapter and now the world of M42 screwmount lenses are a possibility (with manual stop down).

I purchased a Samsung GX-1L (the Pentax *st DL2) equivalent from a pawn shop for $150. It works wonders with my collection of Pentax lenses (kmount and M42). The recent images I managed to get from it are good enough to keep me happy experimenting with macro

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124513

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123863

I'm still biased against Canon for screwing me over in the late 80's for changing mount styles ... so as far as Canon is concerned you are good for at least the last 17-18 years.

+1

Nikon has lenses that go way back available for almost free

Please define what you mean by "automatic" or "manual" in the last sentence above.

I was referring to autofocus, and being able to use the camera to select the aperture, stuff like that. Basically I want it to do what a new lens would do with my camera. I don't really see the purpose of buying a new camera with all this cool stuff (like ttl metering, autofocus, aperture mode, etc.) if the lens doesn't let me do it. I want that stuff to be available if I don't feel like being in a "full manual" mode one day.

And I have problems figuring out what Pentax lenses would work, what they would do, and what they wouldn't. Does anyone have a link or some info?

Edited to add: I think old manual lenses would be cool as secondary lenses, but not as my only means of taking photos. For now, I want ones that allow me to use all the new, cool features of the cameras.

You can find lot's of Minolta Maxxum AF lenses everywhere. (eBay, Craigslist, pawn shops, yard sales, flea markets)

They are fully compatible on all Alpha bodies, they autofocus (if they're in working condition at least), and metering and apertures work fine.

There are some Alpha shooters who have a collection of Minolta Maxxum lenses that they still use quite often. But on the other hand, ther are some KM shooters who take advantage of Sony glass, which is a great idea if you're looking for a budget body and terrific glass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back