What camera for sports??(action shots)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by balfarider, Feb 21, 2008.

1. balfarider

balfarider TPF Noob!

Hey guys. I am a complete noob when it comes to photography. Thing is, I into a sport called downhill biking and I need a camera that is responsive. I want an SLR. The camera I currently have is an inexpensive pentax that takes forever to take a picture. By the time I take the picture my friend(doing a jump) has already landed.

Now I dont want to be told to purchase a 1000$ camera. Remember I'm new to photography and I am only looking to get a few cool shots of me and my friends bikiing. A camera that I have considered is the fuji funpix s700 because it only costs around 240$. I guess you can say that my budget is 500 and below.

Thanks guys

Eric,

2. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you are going for anything instant, I'd go for an SLR. I had good luck with a Rebel XT. You can get one with the kit lens for $450. That would work for your needs, and would have more options later on to upgrade to new lenses with larger apertures, farther zooms, etc.

So, I'd recommend starting with a Canon Digital Rebel XT.

3. parish nation

parish nation TPF Noob!

I have an canon 20d I use it for paintball photography umm you can get it on ebay for 400$ lens you get them for cheap to.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I want a car that will go from 0 to 100 in 3.4 seconds...but I don't want to spend more than $500. :er:

I agree with Keith, an SLR camera will probably be much more responsive than a non-slr digi-cam. Most of the digi-cams I've tried are dreadfully slow compared to any SLR camera I've used.

Still, you need good technique to shoot sports...especially when your gear is limited. A DSLR like the one mentioned would be a good start, but the lens might be a bit limiting, especially if the light isn't great. A better lens would probably blow your budget...so you have to work with what you can afford.

5. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do similar types of shots and im super glad i went dslr. I was also hooked on getting the s700, but trust me, it only "looks" like a dslr. And i would say look into the Rebel XT like kieth said or the nikon d40. The only real difference is the nikon has a few more mega pixels(pretty irrelavant to pic quaility)but the canon is more "upgradeable"

You really wont be able to find a point and shoot that will give you desireable images

both these cameras can be found on the internet for under 500 dollars used and around 500 new.

All you have to do is take 1 pictures with a dslr and trust me, you will be addicted to it!

6. brileyphotog

brileyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Canon Rebel series and the Nikon D40 are both good choices for new cameras. I would actually recommend looking for a nice used D100 or D70. Instead of buying a new $500 camera, spring for a used $500 camera that used to be a $1700 camera 4 years ago.

Perhaps more importantly, I would worry about investing in good glass rather than a great body. You can get a great shot with 5 or 6 mp and good optics.

Finally, think about where you want to take the camera. Downhill biking means dust, mud, rocks that you can drop your camera on...etc. It might be worth it to save up you money (I know this isn't what you want to hear) and get a dSLR with a metal chassis and good weather seals. You can find offerings from Olympus, Pentax, and Sony (don't quote me) that can get you those features at under $1000.

Ultimately you are going to be better served by shelling out a little more upfront if you want to get serious about photography at all.

7. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What? That's not reasonable? :lmao:

I'd look for a used Digital Rebel and then some sort of a cheap lens with some reach on it. You can probably do that for $500 or less. Like a Rebel body, and then a 28-135IS or one of the 70/75-300 telephoto zooms. And I say Canon despite being a Nikon shooter because every consumer grade Canon lens I've tried has *snap* instantaneous focusing which is a step up from Nikon's fast (but not instantaneous) focusing consumer grade lenses. When you're shooting sports or action, that's critical.

8. pregnantcowlady

pregnantcowlady TPF Noob!

i'd try a canon s3 is or something to that nature if you're on a budget.
    i have one and its zoom plus fast shutter speed served me well

9. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    maybe used 10d and good lens

10. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    the Canon has more megapixels (8) the D40 has 6. The Canon is more upgradeable like you said, because it will accept more lenses.

Nikon has canon beat in some cameras (look at the Nikon D3) but Canon currently wins in this market.

11. parish nation

parish nation TPF Noob!

I agree with Big Mike

12. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, i was thinking about the d40x, not d40.