What camera should i buy?

Hello guys!

I am new to photography and i have just started my own company. What im doing? I am providing companies with digital marketing and to do that i need a good camera. Im thinking DSLR is the most bang for the buck. So the question is what camera do i need?

Basicly what i need the camera for is for videos and some pictures. Video is important but my customers also want photos of their products. I have looked at the Canon t5i or canon 700D as its named here in Sweden. I have also looked at the Sony A68K as it´s right now on sale. The Canon costs around 600 dollars here and the Sony usually costs 800 dollars but right now the Sony is on sale for 500 dollars.

So which camera is the best option for me? I need the camera for shooting videos alot and i edit them in Final Cut Pro X. And also need the camera for pictures. Pictures for marketing.

I really need the help guys i am totally lost in this. An example of video i shoot will be posted here below!

I really appreciate if you guys could help me!

Video:
EXAMPLE OF VIDEOS I SHOOT.

Canon T5i (600$): Canon EOS 700D Systemkamera + 18-55mm EF-S + batteri - Systemkamera

Sony A68K (500$): Sony Alpha A68K SLT kamera + 18-55 mm objektiv - Systemkamera

To preface my remarks: I live in Los Angeles, the media capital of the world. This a large, mature and professional marketplace for media/marketing. I haven't a clue as to the level of marketing in Sweden.

Good photography/videography is not easy. I have owned a successful PR company and I ran political campaigns. Thinking that you can just grab a camera and capture successful images is a BIG mistake. You cannot. You may get luck every now and then, but one of the differences between a professional photographer and a non-professional photographer is consistency. The pro will capture the exceptional day-in and day-out, they are paid to do so.

I was not impressed with the video. The message started well, but then kept changing, the dimly lighted scenes were horrible, the white balance of the indoor food shots was off rendering the food unappealing, et al ... I could go on, but I think you get my message. If this was to be a travelogue, it is far too long, it could easily be shortened to 60 seconds for greater impact.

As a former owner of a media company in Los Angeles, I think you would find greater success if you hired professionals to capture your still and moving images. In this marketplace, sub-par quality would make it extremely tough to get clients and impossible to keep them.

Get a camera, learn photography, but photography is a craft. Like in any craft, it takes time to learn. Take classes, take your camera and shoot next to the professionals you've hired to shoot your jobs. Learn from them.

You are new to photography, why do you think you are capable of creating stills and videos for which clients are willing to pay money? I really don't understand.

Thanks for the reply, i understand what you are writing and i respect your opinion. I will take classes and try to learn of another skillfull photographer. May i ask what sort of camera you suggest for me? I have around 800 dollars to spend on a DSLR to capture videos and pictures. On a amateur and learning level. Perhaps Nikon D5500? I appreciate your time and i will do as you suggest. I am a webbdeveloper and creating websites for companies. The videography is my interest and I want to learn basicly. Im sorry to hear you didnt like my video, but it was my first and I hear what you say and will try to evolve from it. Best reggards from Sweden

If you go for the nikons I have a d3300 and the 3400 hasn't improved much. I would rather go for the d5400. That flip screen will come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
I believe you mean Nikon D5500, there isn't a D5400, Nikon jumped from the D5300 to the D5500
You seem to know alot about photography. Would you recommend D5500 as a good photography and videography DSLR? best reggards from Sweden

Sankte-

Again with the qualification ... I don't do video. I have zero expertise in that arena. I do know that many pro videographers like pro still photographers, will use different cameras for different purposes. A videographer will use a smaller, more portable camera for handheld scenes in a fluid environment, on the fly type of stuff. Videographers will use a different larger camera for scripted, controlled type of shooting.

But, I have heard that the Panasonic GH4, Canon 5D III (but doesn't shoot 4K), Sony A7S II, Canon 70D/80D and Nikon 810. All of these cameras are outside your budget. I would look for used/refurbished cameras. Panasonic is unveiling their GH5 in a week or two. Typically, that would cause the price of the GH4 to significantly drop. All these cameras are capable of capturing equally exceptional still images.

The Canon 5D III, Sony A7S II and Nikon 810 use 'Full Frame' sensors. The sensor size is 36mm x 24mm with a diagonal crop factor of 1x.

The Canon 70D/80D uses a smaller APS-C sized sensor with a diagonal crop factor of 1.5x.

The Panasonic's sensor is MFT, which is even smaller with a diagonal crop factor of 2x.

Generally, sensor size has a direct affect upon Image Quality, the larger the sensor the greater the detail in the image, the larger the image can be enlarged, the greater the dynamic range and the less noise at elevated ISO. But pixel size and other factors can/will also have an effect upon Image Quality.

I used to be a professional photographer (photojournalist), and I tend to purchase only the more expensive hardware and I have little experience with the less expensive equipment. But, in general, I feel that modern digital cameras are so good these days, that if you tossed a dozen or a hundred 8x10 prints on a tabletop all shot at base ISO, you wouldn't be able to successfully separate the photos by:

1) Manufacturer; or
2) Model (entry level versus flagship and all the models in between).

Generally, the more expensive the hardware the easier to capture the exceptional image and the equipment is more rugged. Ease = Consistency.

I have found that the content of the image is far, far more important than Image Quality in determining if the image is successful.

If you go for the nikons I have a d3300 and the 3400 hasn't improved much. I would rather go for the d5400. That flip screen will come in handy.

I believe you mean Nikon D5500, there isn't a D5400, Nikon jumped from the D5300 to the D5500
You seem to know alot about photography. Would you recommend D5500 as a good photography and videography DSLR? best reggards from Sweden
In your price range you are very limited, the D5500 is a fantastic photography camera, it is also a good video camera because of the swivel, touch screen. In your price range you will not find any camera with good video auto focus, all the cameras will tend you hunt a bit before locking focus, the D5500 will be the same, its actually not so bad but its not as good as lets say Canon 80D, but then the 80D is much more expensive.
So in the price range the D5500 is good at both photo and video. You touch on the back screen at what you want to focus at and the camera will track this subject.

Here is a comparison between d3300 and Sony A68k. Is there something important that im missing?

Nikon D3300 vs Sony A68 Detailed Comparison
Basically the lenses, Sony has fewer lenses compared to Nikon and it looses about 1/3 to 1/2 stop of light due to the translucent mirrorbut as Sony doesn't make DSLR they make SLT, its not a bad camera,if you want it then get it, I am sure it will do a fine job and you will be happy with it too.

Hello!
I really appreciate the time you put down to help me with my camera purchase. I have narrowed it down into 2 categories now. Either i spend alittle less and buy a D3300 or D5300 and learn to shoot good videos. And perhaps later buy a 4k camera. The question is. Will the material still look good on a D3300 and D5300? And which one would u recommend me buying? The D3300 is 400 dollars with VR lens. And D5300 id 600 dollars with VR lens.

Other option is to purchase a 4k straight away. There is the G7 that costs new 750 dollars. Or the gh4 that costs 1000 dollars new.

What would you recommend?

Best reggards from Sweden

Get a D5500, but make sure it's with the AF-P kit lens for silent focusing (some packages still have the older AF-S kit lens, so watch out for that). It has a great sensor, articulating touchscreen, (both of which ideal for video usage) and records 1080p/60.

Or if you want 4K you could go with the Lumix G7.

Panasonic GH4 is categorised as a video camera, yes its not categorized as stills but video which means it has no time limit for its video recording, it will of course take pictures too but it was first and foremost designed to be a video camera.
Panasonic G7 is nicknamed baby GH4, it has many of the features of the GH4 for less money.
Nikon D5500 and D3300 share similar sensor and most basic video capabilities but the D5500 has the touch swivel screen and can do continues video auto focus so for video the D5500 is the obvious winner.

So comparing the GH4, G7 and D5500 which one to choose ?

Considering you are a beginner and has limited funds I will direct you to the G7
GH4 is the better video camera but most of the pro features will be above your current capabilities thus wasted on you.
G7 actually has a better sensor in it so you are getting better low light performance in it compared to the GH4.
Comparing the G7 to the D5500, they both have swivel touch screen but the G7 has focus peeking and 4K and that is a pretty big deal.
D5500 main advantage is the bigger sensor which mean about 1/3 to 1/2 stop of light better low light performance even though G7 low light performance is actually good and impressive considering its a MFT sensor camera.

So to sum it up all the cameras on your list will be able to produce very good videos but the D3300 is left behind due to the fixed screen compared to the other cameras.
GH4 is the one that is mostly geared to video but might be too much for you at the moment and has the worst low light performance and is the most expensive.
D5500 has the best sensor and thus gives you best low light performance but has no 4K
G7 has many of the GH4 features but is cheaper so I think its the winner.

I was in your shoes not a long time ago and I chose to get it for my video wedding needs.
In future as you get better it will be a great B role camera.
Panasonic was always more geared toward video then stills.

I was in your shoes not a long time ago and I chose to get it for my video wedding needs.

You seem to know a lot about the Panasonic systems. If I could trouble you to take a look at one of my posts that I talk about the g85. Or if I could message you and talk about the systems.

You seem to know a lot about the Panasonic systems. If I could trouble you to take a look at one of my posts that I talk about the g85. Or if I could message you and talk about the systems.

Of course, please PM me

Most reactions

Back