What Camera Should I Buy?

HJRKirkham

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I'm new to this forum and a beginner photographer (like, very - I've taken 1 High School photography class and my experience is pretty much only with my iPhone and a point and shoot camera) and I'm wondering what type of camera I should get. I've been doing some research but there are so many different answers and I've decided I should just ask what camera you guys think is best for my circumstances.

disclaimer: I have a feeling what I'm asking for is a bit stupid or unrealistic or something but I just do not know very much about dslr cameras etc so sorry if this makes no sense.

I want the camera to:
- take good quality video
- take good low light photos (video too?)
- be able to take long exposure photos (is that the same as low light?)
- also be able have a very fast shutter speed for pictures of things moving quickly
- be >$800 including a lens (is this possible considering the above?)
- relatively simple to use

Thanks in advance! I honestly don't even know where to begin, so any extra beginner camera purchasing advice is welcomed!

My Sony A6000 does a decent job of both video and stills. It is my go to video camera. Also it will fit in your jacket pocket.

Sony A-6000

No, you have a pretty decent grasp of prices and what you want.
Nikon D3400 with the kit lens and a 35mm f/1.8
or if you can spend a bit more
Fujifilm XT20 with the 18-55mm
also consider
Olympus OMD-EM10 II with the 14-42

Nikon D3300 or Nikon D3400 are great beginners to mid users cameras.
Sensor on them is fantastic!!!
Get it with the basic kit lens and add either the Nikon 35mm 1.8G or Nikon 50mm 1.8G
They both are great for low light situation but the 50mm is better for portrait photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back