what camera should i get what should i get huh?

Nyper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:D

Kidding.. new guy to the site & just wanted to say thanks to all the folks who answer questions for the newbies like me. I know it gets old answering the same questions - heck, I get tired of seeing the same questions... but thanks anyway. :thumbup:

I'll be purchasing my first dSLR in the next couple of weeks. Unable to make up my mind at the moment. Got it narrowed down though. Reading plenty of books/articles/forums/etc until then.

Just wanted to say hi & thanks to all those who post & help. Looks like a good forum & glad I found it.

Welcome. You're on the right path by doing your research. Once you've got your short list, go play with all of them. The one that feels right sitting in your hand is the right one. (but I do like my Nikon)

Welcome. You're on the right path by doing your research. Once you've got your short list, go play with all of them. The one that feels right sitting in your hand is the right one. (but I do like my Nikon)

Right now I like the way the D40/D40x feels the best (I borrowed a D40 for about 3 weeks & really liked it). That'd also allow to spend more of my budget on another lens, rather than buying a $1200 camera and having only the kit lens.

All this nikon biased opinion. Look at all cameras in your desired class of camera (consumer, pro-sumer, professional) then hold them all and play with htem. Look at the lenses etc. Don't rule out Pentax, Sony, or any other non-Nikon/Canon brands just because some other forum member is a fanboy. try ut everything that fits the description.

Yes, go to the store and play with them, see which feels right in your hands. Both Nikon and Canon are great systems to work with. Just find the one thats right for you. That being said, I prefer Canon.

All these people suggesting "Nikon" and "Canon" are out of their minds. Holga is the wave of the future! A plastic lens! A back that almost closes! Two apertures (one of which works)! How could you go wrong?

Haha, if I were you I would ignore everyone telling you what to do. Including me, so that means that you probably should listen to everyone right? I dunno.

Anyways, research will tell all. If you like the way a couple of them feel then the features/price will settle the confusion from there. Most of the people who ask for advice just don't want to do the research and would rather have someone else tell them what is better and why. In reality only you can decide what is better for you! :D

I have a K100d and love it. Came from film (K1000) - waited for the Pentax to come out. It was well worth the wait. The IS is great, works with all my old film glass. Wife can take great pics with it in auto, great if you are coming out of P&S cameras. Using the LCD kind of negates the SLR in my opion.

That's just my .02

[shudder] Ken Rockwell [/shudder]

Choosing a system is similar like choosing a religion, the only person who has the best argumentation of "WHY" is the person himself.

Most reactions

Back