What Camera should I get?

shahvikram123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently have a Nikon D3100 with an 18-200mm Lens, 90mm macro and 35mm prime.

I'm looking to upgrade the body (not sure if I should?) As I'm needing a camera with better capabilities.

What I'm needing from my next camera:
- metering mode - not sure if that is the name of the feature but it's where the camera takes multiple shots with different shutter speeds or f numbers etc.

- better screen to view the images. The d3100 has a pretty poor screen. Need something with a better resolution

- more megapixels. I'm looking to blow my pictures up onto canvases so the higher the megapixels the better

What camera would be the next level up from the Nikon d3100? With the above features?

On a side note how often do people normally change their slr's

Thanks for any help in advance! :)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

1) Multiple shots at different exposures: Lots of the new cameras do this. The D5200, D5300, D5500, D7100, D7200, D610, D750, D810, etc... the list could go on.

2) Better screen: I think all of the newer Nikon DSLR cameras have better screens. If you got the D5500, D750, D610, D810, or D7200, you would get a good screen. I'm probably missing a couple of models. It's not like you get an insanely huge screen with any of them (or any camera) though.

3) More megapixels: Again, anything from what I've listed will have 24.1 megapixels or more (the D810 has 36.3 megapixels). If you want to blow up your images really really big, 24.1 megapixels is more than enough: It will come down to the glass more-so than the lens. However, if you are *really* in need of the greatest amount of detail possible, the D810 is the best.

I think you should list off more of what you need. Your budget, what you're shooting, other needs, etc.

You should also list more specifically what lenses you're using. If you upgrade your camera body, you might not see much in the way of increased sharpness if your lenses aren't good enough.

Is your D3100 holding you back? I don't think upgrading the camera is the answer. If you have to ask I don't think you should upgrade.

D7200 sounds like it would be a great upgrade, D7100 is good too if you need to save some money.

Yeah I was also looking at the d7200. I've got a tamron 18-200mm and 90mm macro too. Would they work on the d7200? They are f mount and dx lenses. So I assume they would right?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back