What camera should I purchase for school?

-tiny-

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need to buy a 35mm digital camera. I've done a little research on the matter but I need to hear from people with a little experience. I'm just starting out so it will need to be some what user friendly and easy to learn on, without sacrificing quality of course.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
I need a DSLR.
I'm going to search around on the site too but I would love some advice!

Last edited:
Best to start with an entry level DSLR (guessing that is what you meant by 35mm) Canon XSI just received a good review and is quite new on the market. There is also the Nikon D60 which there are a few people on this forum already discussing. Good resolution on both and in a good price range.

Do a search for either and see what you come up with.

You should check and see if the school has lenses they stock for loan to students.
That may greatly affect your desision as to which brand to buy.

Good point on checking with the school. I always suggest going to a camera shop so you can actulally put your hands on some cameras and see which one feels best (control layout, buttons, dials and menus) to you. In no particular order, Nikon and canon are very popular. I myself have a Konica / Minolta 7D but they are not made anymore, Sony bought out K/M and are making the A100, A300 and the A700 all of which can use the K/M autofocus lenses. Good luck with your choice.

The Nikon D40 is very popular but just a word of caution. The autofocus motor is in the lens (not the body) and if you want to use other lenses in auto focus mode they will have to have the motor in the lens also.

Last edited:
I'll take another trip to my school and local camera store then.
Thanks for the advice you guys!

Last edited:
what's your budget for the camera?

i just bought my D60, affordable and very2 reliable for entry level =)

Most reactions

Back