what camera to buy (beginner)

CalebGGodwin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I bought a decent digital camera a few months ago, nothing special, just a very compact camera. Anyway, I've been wanting for a long time to buy a 35mm (I assume) camera. Once that can take quick snapshots with great quality and good zoom. But, I don't want to spend a few grand on it. I'm not sure how much these things cost, but I'd like to learn about them before looking too much into it. So, what kind of specs should I be looking at? SLR vs. DLR, different types of mm film, lenses... etc. If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it, because I would like to purchase one within the next few months. Thanks.

Well I am no expert but here are my thoughts:
1) Both DSLR and SLR are able to get similar results with the same lens on a decent body - the big difference is that with SLR you really have to make every shot count before you press the shutter butten - every shot costs you in development. With DSLR (Digital) its much like your compact camera - you can shoot 1000 shots and only keep 10 - and it won't cost you anything to dump the others

2) SLR and DSLR cameras need more practice with to get good shots than a compact camera to start with - especially if you start playing around with the manual settings. This means that at first you might be slower and worse than your compact - but give it time and practice and you can get far better results - and far more control over how you shoot.

3) can you get to a local photography club? I ask this especially if you go down the SLR route as things such as developing the shots (I take it you are intending to have them developed at a store) need to be ironed out (ie which stores are the best and where are they) It would also give you a chance to have a try with some of the SLR kit.

4) Yoy ask what sort of films, lenses etc that you should get - to help here people really need to know what you are intending to use the camera for - wildlife, people, action (sports)

Hi Caleb, welcome.

If you want to learn film photography, get your self a manual SLR from the 70s. The Pentax K1000 is the standard. But anything from the known makers would be good. Canon AE-1, Olympus OM series. Minolta Nikon Konica etc. Most of these can be found for little money (say $100 give or take) including a few lenses.

For example the T3 in my sig was $80 dollars with 9 lenses. I sold 3 of them that were overlapping or that I wouldn't use for $45 so I wound up with a really nice camera outfit for $35.

That said the sky is the limit with film cameras just like digital. There are some auto focus 35mm SLRs that still sell for $500+ (Minolta Maxxum 9 or Nikon F5). It all depends on what you want to do.

One other thing. I think Passerby was telling you that because film was old technology that you shouldn't bother with it. Which is dumb. Just like the "push bike" to motor bike compassion is dumb. It is just a different way of working there is no wrong way to do it.

Yellowjeep... you suggest I get a film camera from the 70's?? like... 1970's? lol. I don't get it. Also, how is a camera plus 9 lenses only like 80bucks. I guess I just fail to understand. If you could verify, that would be great. Thanks...

Oh, and I just plan on taking any type of shots. People, scenery, close up, far away, nothing in particular. I think it would be really cool to capture movement (like a car passing by in 5 shots... stuff like that) Taking good quality pictures (close up or far away) as fast as I can press the button.

I think what Yellowjeep is getting at is getting hold of some older camera kit which will still work well, just that it does not have all the flashy buttens and features so that you can really have a play around with traditional photography kit before you start spending large amounts on more modern kit. The older kit (used right) can take very good shots, just that it will take you time to get used to the camera and film.
But the skills you learn with the cheaper (remember its only cheaper because its old, not because it is bad) kit can be transfered direct to newer kit - photography is still following the same basic rules

so what would I be looking for when looking for a 70's-ish camera? make, model, type, what lenses, features... as much info as possible plaease??? And where to get it. E-Bay?

Yellowjeep... you suggest I get a film camera from the 70's?? like... 1970's? lol. I don't get it. Also, how is a camera plus 9 lenses only like 80bucks. I guess I just fail to understand. If you could verify, that would be great. Thanks...

Oh, and I just plan on taking any type of shots. People, scenery, close up, far away, nothing in particular. I think it would be really cool to capture movement (like a car passing by in 5 shots... stuff like that) Taking good quality pictures (close up or far away) as fast as I can press the button.
That kind of shooting will cost you a quite bit more than $80 as you'll need at least a 3 fps motor drive, maybe even faster. Then you're talking about a pro level.

Look dude... I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about...Minolta X or SR series camera, a good 28-200 MD mount zoom, 3 fps motor drive...

how about this...

What camera (along with motor drive to achieve a decent shooting speed), flash, film, and lens(es) should I buy, and how much SHOULD it cost me? a 70's-ish camera is fine... but hopefully no more than 400 bucks. I just need to know what to look for, ya know? Thanks again.

Are you looking for advice on a point and shoot? No one here is going to be able to give you a link to exactly what YOU need. Everyone has personal preference.

If you want a good point and shoot that can fit in your pocket check out the nikon coolpix series. They are about 200, they're basically flat and take fine snapshots.

If your looking to be amateur, go the DSLR road and look at sometihng like the canon rebel XT (or XTi) series. Nikon has a similar line.

Are you looking for advice on a point and shoot? No one here is going to be able to give you a link to exactly what YOU need. Everyone has personal preference.

If you want a good point and shoot that can fit in your pocket check out the nikon coolpix series. They are about 200, they're basically flat and take fine snapshots.

If your looking to be amateur, go the DSLR road and look at sometihng like the canon rebel XT (or XTi) series. Nikon has a similar line.

He's asking about film cameras.

Do some research to find out the differences between the many, many different makes and models of cameras that use the Pentax K-mount and then find the camera that fits in your budget (probably from eBay).

well, I'd like to hear my question answered by yellowjeep or overread... they're actually informative. This is my 'do research'... and I can't research something if I don't know what I'm looking for.

ahem - no need to get personal Caleb people here are trying to help.
As for ground work research - well we can help here, but you need to tell us more to let us help you

First things first
1) budget - you have said nothing over 400 dollars so I take it this is your upper limit of investment

2) going back to your original post - (and I am not being condesending, but trying to work out how much you do and don't know at the moment) are you dead set on a "film" camera or are you more after a comparison bettween film and digital (by digital I don't mean compact like you have, but DSLR)

3) you have given us a few ideas as to what you want ot shoot, but are there any specifics that you want to be able to shoot? Anything that really grabs your attention that you want after? This is important for SLR and DSLR cameras as lenses for these are often "best" only for certain things.

Also - plug in some search terms into google and wander the market a little as well - that will help you to understand some responces and opinions of people here. Please understand that we can't tell you the camera to get as there are many different models and makes and combinations so what you willl get is peoples suggestions as to what you could try.

Look dude... I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about...Minolta X or SR series camera, a good 28-200 MD mount zoom, 3 fps motor drive...

how about this...

What camera (along with motor drive to achieve a decent shooting speed), flash, film, and lens(es) should I buy, and how much SHOULD it cost me? a 70's-ish camera is fine... but hopefully no more than 400 bucks. I just need to know what to look for, ya know? Thanks again.
Nikon FE 2 or FMn w/MD 12 motor drive. (3 frames per second)
Nikon FA w/MD 12 or MD 15 motor drive (3 frames per second)
Nikon FE or FM w/MD 12
Minolta XG M or X 700 or X 570 w/ MD 1 motor drive (3 frames per second)
Canon, Pentax, Ricoh, Olympus may have similar models, but I don’t know them. I’m told Ricoh is especially durable.

You also have the professional models that take bigger and faster motor drives, like the Canon F1N, Nikon F2, F3, and Pentax LX (good luck finding that one)

Those were all manual focus models. There’s also a slew of auto focus models to choose from that are probably in better working condition that just might be cheaper.

well, I'd like to hear my question answered by yellowjeep or overread... they're actually informative. This is my 'do research'... and I can't research something if I don't know what I'm looking for.

Maybe if you were a little more receptive you'd realize that I did tell you what to look for. Find any old (working) K-mount camera and you have a great base to start from with a wide range of lenses to choose from. There are way too many K-mount cameras for me to list the ones in your price range (and the vast, vast majority of them will indeed be in your price range), so, yes, you do need to Google "pentax k mount" to find some specific models.

Hint: Wikipedia will probably have some solutions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back