what camera to buy (beginner)

Yellowjeep... you suggest I get a film camera from the 70's?? like... 1970's? lol. I don't get it. Also, how is a camera plus 9 lenses only like 80bucks. I guess I just fail to understand. If you could verify, that would be great. Thanks...

Oh, and I just plan on taking any type of shots. People, scenery, close up, far away, nothing in particular. I think it would be really cool to capture movement (like a car passing by in 5 shots... stuff like that) Taking good quality pictures (close up or far away) as fast as I can press the button.

The movement photography will cost you large sums of money. The rest cam be achieved with a 70s setup.

Dude,

Go to Amazon and get a "Photography for Dummies"-like book to START. You do not know enough to even discuss this on a forum yet. Buy some magazines too. Better yet, go to a used book store for same. You need to understand the basics of photography: light, film and how if works, optics, exposure, etc. THEN you can frame your questions and understand what people are trying to say. For example: You should KNOW the mirror delay on a SLR is a small fraction of a second; any photography of moving objects would be impractical otherwise!

Second, everyone assumes you want to know how all the photography fundamentals relate to "film" based photography. But the essentials are the same in digital, so why the quick jump to film. I have done both, and I would recommend you start with what you have - point and shoot digital - take a TON of pics of subjects you care about, then figure out what limitations the point and shoot has that prevents you from creating images like you want. Like - can't shoot in low light situations, shutter delay is too long for sports photography or candid portraits, etc.

And nobody has mentioned the processing costs for film! It you only want to spend $200-400 bucks on gear, can you even comprehend $100 per MONTH in processing costs if you are really serious about learning to create exciting quality images???

Stay digital, wear out the camera you have before buying another, then assess if you really have a strong desire to be serious.

READ and LOOK AT PHOTOS a lot for the next 6 months while you shoot as much as you can with what you have.

Keep in mind that not everyone has the time to sort through thick "for dummies" books to find what they're looking for. It is much faster, easier, and a better learning experience to talk to real humans. This forum is for everyone, and it is encouraged that beginners ask questions.

A couple months ago when I came to this forum I knew nothing. Now, I've been taking some great pictures thanks to the friendly and informative members of this forum.

I do however, agree with you on the digital part. Caleb, if you can, save your money and go digital. Film is for far more advanced users, because with the astounding cost of processing you really want to know what you're doing when you press that button. Digital is the way of the future, and if you get serious you're going to go that route anyhow. The best way to learn everything is to take tons of pictures, look at those pictures, and adjust your setting accordingly. Digital makes this possible at nearly no cost. Post processing also does not require a darkroom, tons of time, and expensive equipment. It can be done with great expertise for a computer and a $100 dollar program, if even that.

Most reactions

Back