what camera to buy for videos

somehoethot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am the beginner of beginners and don't know anything about cameras, i apologize in advance
-
I'm planning to get a camera to take pictures of cars racing, it'll be drag racing and i'll be near/in the lanes close up with the cars, so fences won't be a problem

i have a budget of around 500 dollars and just a nice camera will do. thank you

edit: thank you all for being so nice!

Last edited:
Do you want a zoom lens with that to follow the cars down the strip ?
Or just as they start at the tree ?

If you can manually focus then a Nikon D3300 can do a great job and will be in your price range, it does 1080p and goes to 60 fps
If you looking for a camera with auto focus I just don't see it happening in your price range.
Camera with good AF I wouldn't get anything less then the Canon 70D
If you want 4K then Panasonic G7 is the cheapest and maybe you can get one for 500$ used

I too would say that if video is your primary use a video camera (camcorder) would be best.
To make really good video a DSLR needs some additional gear a dedicated to video camera wouldn't need.

Regardless the camera, some additional gear is needed.
Foremost is a stable tripod with a fluid video head, and a good external microphone.
You might get by with only spending $100 or so for each:
Amazon.com : ePhotoInc Tripod W/ Fluid Pan Head for DSLR or Camcorder
Rode VMGO Video On-Camera Microphone

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

We bought two offbrand ones today, sadly gopro really isn't worth it when we can buy 5 cheap ones that do nearly the same

Do you want a zoom lens with that to follow the cars down the strip ?
Or just as they start at the tree ?
I'll be behind the fence, directly next to the cars. So next to the tree yes

What you want is a video camera.
yeah i realized i was in the wrong forum not long after i posted this lmao

If you can manually focus then a Nikon D3300 can do a great job and will be in your price range, it does 1080p and goes to 60 fps
If you looking for a camera with auto focus I just don't see it happening in your price range.
If you want 4K then Panasonic G7 is the cheapest and maybe you can get one for 500$ used

We actually own a canon d90 that my dad is going to take to get fixed. it works fine, but the digital screen on it is cracked. I'll definitely look into the Panasonic!

I too would say that if video is your primary use a video camera (camcorder) would be best.
To make really good video a DSLR needs some additional gear a dedicated to video camera wouldn't need.

Regardless the camera, some additional gear is needed.
Foremost is a stable tripod with a fluid video head, and a good external microphone.
You might get by with only spending $100 or so for each:
Amazon.com : ePhotoInc Tripod W/ Fluid Pan Head for DSLR or Camcorder
Rode VMGO Video On-Camera Microphone
we already own some equipment for cameras because my mum makes videos.
New question:
Is the canon D90 good? what settings should I use for lowlight and what kind of additional stuff should i look into for it?
(this is the track we go to, i'll be in the same spot this person is in)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That recording was made with a fixed lens camera/video camera. no zoom.

If I was at a drag strip I'd be way down the strip getting the cars coming at me, not away from me. With a long zoom to get them at the start, and a shorter lens at the finish line. But those kind of lenses are way beyond your budget.

To start, as mentioned above a D3300 or Canon equivalent would be good. Keep in mind the d3300 isn't the latest version of that camera, the D3400 is but your budget pushes you into the used/refurbished area.

That recording was made with a fixed lens camera/video camera. no zoom.

If I was at a drag strip I'd be way down the strip getting the cars coming at me, not away from me. With a long zoom to get them at the start, and a shorter lens at the finish line. But those kind of lenses are way beyond your budget.

To start, as mentioned above a D3300 or Canon equivalent would be good. Keep in mind the d3300 isn't the latest version of that camera, the D3400 is but your budget pushes you into the used/refurbished area.
towards the end of the strip is blocked off, so sadly that's not an option

i'll look into the d3300! i think we're sticking with the d90 though.

I think you have a Canon 90D (not D90).
I can't find much information about it .. has it been released ?
that camera seems to have 4k capability. So it's a more modern Canon and should get good results.

Are you sure you don't have a 70d, or 60d or something?

Last edited:
Nikon's D90 was the first DSLR to have a video capability (announced August 27, 2008).
Being the first, the video capability was rudimentary.

When/If Canon releases a 90D it will likely be priced in the same $1100 to $1200 price range as the 80D.

Nikon's D90 was the first DSLR to have a video capability (announced August 27, 2008).

When/If Canon releases a 90D it will likely be priced in the same $1100 to $1200 price range as the 80D.

Except the OP keeps mentioning that they have a Canon D90.
It must be a really old/new prototype.

Otherwise he has a Nikon D90
or some other Canon model.

We actually own a canon d90 that my dad is going to take to get fixed. it works fine, but the digital screen on it is cracked. I'll definitely look into the Panasonic!
we already own some equipment for cameras because my mum makes videos.
New question:
Is the canon D90 good? what settings should I use for lowlight and what kind of additional stuff should i look into for it?

Except the OP keeps mentioning that they have a Canon D90.
It must be a really old/new prototype.

Otherwise he has a Nikon D90
or some other Canon model.

ahhh i apologize! it is a nikon d90.

ahhh i apologize! it is a nikon d90.
The D90 has
720p HD video at 24 frames per second

and ISO from 200 - 3200, and then electronically extended from 100-6400.

So give you camera a try. Then you only need $0 budget.

Last edited:

[/QUOTE]
Never really heard of the Canon D90, maybe you meant Nikon D90 ?
Don't know if it has video

In regards to the Panasonic G7, just ordered it from B and H used for 500$, bought it for video, they had 2 yesterday on their site, they were gone within 3 hours, holly molly those little cameras are popular.
Cant wait to get it and see how it does video and just in general try mirrorless cameras.

Most reactions

Back