What camera to buy? Pls help!

brogansmommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography and I am looking to purchase a camera. I would like to spend somewhere between 500 and 1000. I can go higher if it's worth it. My goal with this is to start doing newborn photography. My niece was born today and I got inspired looking at all of the newborn photos. Does anyone have any recommendations that would fit what I'm looking for? Although I'm just starting out, I am hoping to turn this into a future career. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone can point me to some place that is a good online beginners course, That would be great too. I have lots to learn before I am ready for a career!!

Good video courses you find at Lynda.com:
Photography Courses Online Classes from lynda.com
And here you have a free online e-book on Photography, wich explain the basics:
Creative Photography A Complete Online Book - Book Contents
Good DSLRs to start with are the Nikon D5300 or D5500.
Or a system camera, smaller and lighter than a DSLR, but as good. f.i. the Sony A6000.
But if you just starting, it will take some time before you really
know how to use a camera in all kinds of conditions;
Take as much pictures you can, with all kind of settings, so you learn much by trial and error.
Rudi

Last edited:
I would start out with a used Nikon D7000 or D7100.
Get that and a used 35mm 1.8G prime lens. This set up will be under $1000.

You would be able to take some really cute photos of your niece. Start off with shooting them under diffused natural window light.

Play with your camera, day and night. Keep learning....

When you are ready, that same set up should be able to earn you some money one day, and when you find limitations or want to achieve higher, you will naturally find new gear to overcome those obstacles. Such as studio lights, off camera flash, soft boxes, full frame camera, etc.etc. :D

I second the recommendation for a d7000 or d7100 body. The extra features and controls, and focusing modes will come in handy as you progress. It's a steep learning curve, but it's better to have some options than not have them as you progress and aim for a career.

Err, if its a 35mm f1.8, make sure it has "DX" in the name. The AF-S 35mm f1.8 is a FX lens thats twice as expensive and a lot larger than the AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX.

Personally I would prefer to get a macro lens, like the AF-S 60mm f2.8 micro, for photographing a baby.

About a career in photography, well you're like a pupil who asks about how addition works and then tells us he wants to start a career as a math professor ...

I am new to photography and I am looking to purchase a camera. I would like to spend somewhere between 500 and 1000. I can go higher if it's worth it.
Heh heh. Speaking of buying new gear on an enthusiast's forum is like asking a drunk if he'd like a drink with his drink.

OF COURSE I think it's "worth it". If you're pretty serious about learning photography, don't skimp on that initial purchase. Whatever level you can afford, you will "grow into it".

Be reasonable, but get the best body you are comfortable with, one or two lenses, and know that you will have to be purchasing lights and modifiers as well as some editing software.

I'd buy a good secondhand Canon 5d and put an 85mm f1.8 and 50mm, f1.4, sigma if possible. This full frame set up is relatively simple and lovely portraits are possible with the 85.You might fit that in your budget secondhand. Reflectors and props then are as important as camera.

Personally I would prefer to get a macro lens, like the AF-S 60mm f2.8 micro, for photographing a baby.

About a career in photography, well you're like a pupil who asks about how addition works and then tells us he wants to start a career as a math professor ...
It's a baby, not an embryo.
As for a career in photography, learn how business works and how to survive on no money

Most reactions

Back