What camera to get?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by bosox097, Nov 1, 2008.

1. bosox097

bosox097 TPF Noob!

I'm in college right now and next semester I'm planning to take a basic photography class. It's always sounded like fun to me so I figured I'd give it a shot. Anyway, I need to get a "35mm camera with manual operation" according to the class description. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Need to check if its film based class. If it says darkroom in the description, then will need at least a film camera for that portion of the work. I am betting it is film and B+W. Plus maybe color slide at the end (what I had).

Need to check into that. And a budget would be nice to know. As any of the brands will have decent cameras available new or used.

3. bosox097

bosox097 TPF Noob!

It does say darkroom so I guess I will have to get a film camera. As for a budget, I really don't know what a decent camera for a class like this would cost because the only camera I've ever bought was a cheap digital camera, but I guess I'd like to pay less than $300 unless I have to pay more for a decent one.

4. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

$300 you should be able to get a pretty good used film camera and lens from any of the big brands. With 35mm film a 50 mm lens is considered standerd for visual point of view. Should be able to find a decent film body and maybe 2 manual focus lenses for $300. The only brand that would give you a slight advantage would be Nikon as you can currently use most manual focus lenses on new cameras (film and digital, manual focus of course, and in some cases camera in full manual).

There should be no limits to having a camera with auto modes and AF. Manual just means it needs to have manual control options (supposed to use manual, no cheating with auto mode!). For $300 you can probably get a decent AF film camera and lens, maybe 2. Price has come way down recently on film stuff.

5. rom4n301

rom4n301 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i think a canon k2 would be pretty good or an elan 7n, or 7ne, right now im using a canon g2 and it does its job, but there is NOTHING BETTER then the ae-1

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't agree with many of the points in that post and I thought this thread was about a film camera.

I second the Elan 7 and II bodies. Decent cameras at rock bottom prices right now. A mix of present day technology with manual options. If you want a full manual camera, there is always the Pentax K1000 which is plentiful.

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    BobbyNiel was a clever spammer who's (quoted by usayit) posts can no longer be found. So don't be surprised there is a quotation and you cannot tell where it came from.

8. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Back on topic....I'll second...or third or however many where previous to me and say Canon AE-1.

Canon EF is a better camera IMHO but it's harder to find than the AE-1 and proportionally more expencive.

I would suggest getting some lenses as well

I would suggest

Canon FD 35mm 3.5
    Canon FD 50mm 1.4 (can often be found with body)
    Canon FD 85mm 1.8
    and maybee one zoom of some form.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  9. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you doing a photography major or is this just an elective you want to take? If you're doing it as a major (which I'm assuming is not the case, but I could be wrong), you may want to eye up digital SLR cameras at the same time. You don't need to buy one, but if you're going top eventually end up with one, you might want to choose a film camera that has lenses that you could use if/when you decide to purchases a DSLR.