What camera to upgrade to?

jonsalty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.

I'm a bit of an amateur photographer/videographer but am looking to make an upgrade.

My Camera; Pentax k500
My lens 18-280 and 18-55

My line of work: I'm a creative director of an Experiential Entertainment Agency. I produce live events with dancers singers presenters etc etc to increase a brands awareness.
I then film the behind the scenes stuff and put it together into a case study.

What I want:
My current camera doesn't have a mic input which means I rely on the built in mic. Not ideal when I am at a busy/loud event and am trying to interview my team about how the day is going.

I would also probably want to buy a 50 mm 1.8f lens too which would benefit the interview style videography. I would also buy a rode/sennenheiser directional mic to sit on top.

I've been looking at upgrading to the Pentax K5 II because it has the mic input and is a whole lot better camera and it also means that I can keep my 18-280 lens.

I'd love to get some feedback whether to stick with what I know with Pentax or move to Nikon/Canon.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Not really into video but from what I heard in its price range the Panasonic GH4 is the best video/stills camera you can get.
If you dont want a mirrorless camera then the Canon 70D has a very good AF system on it that suits well video shooters.
Also I can tell you my camera the Nikon D750 is very good with its FF sensor, tilty screen and special menu just for video.
The Camera Store review said they think the D750 is best DSLR for video.

What's your budget? A large portion of the recommendation will come down to your budget. If you can afford it, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 is probably the best camera you can get for a combination of stills and video, while the Panasonic 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 will do what the 18-280mm has done for you, though most likely with significantly better quality. As a substitute to the 50mm f/1.8, you can get the Olympus 45mm f/1.8, or stretch out to the expensive Panasonic-Leica 42.5mm f/1.2.

If you can't quite stretch your budget to accommodate the GH4, its predecessor, the GH3, is a wonderful camera as well.

I wouldn't recommend a Pentax DSLR for serious video work. They are certainly great cameras for stills, and especially good value, but video is their weakest link - even the newer K-3 isn't as good as its rivals in video.

If you're fine without a fast prime lens, you may also consider the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000.

Thank you ido for your response. Very detailed and I will begin to research these cameras.
Budget is around the ÂŁ700 mark all in. I appreciate it's not too much but I'm not trying to be professional. Thanks

Thank you ido for your response. Very detailed and I will begin to research these cameras.
Budget is around the ÂŁ700 mark all in. I appreciate it's not too much but I'm not trying to be professional. Thanks
If you don't have any real need for interchangeable lenses, get the Panasonic FZ1000 (699 GBP on Amazon) or Sony RX10 (679 GBP on Amazon).

I absolutely love my Pentax K-3 (I recently switched to Pentax from Canon) ... very capable and user-friendly DSLR. It obviously has microphone and headphone connections.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back