What camera will help me get a vintage/retro type look for video and picture?

DesertFilth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello I'm new to this all and what not,getting into photography has been something I've always had in mind but no time I will use that as an excuse.I'm a newbie when it comes to cameras(.) I've always had an interest but no time like I said BUT now I have the time to ask a couple of questions.I've used Photoshop for years,I'm not hear asking for certain effects but how too get a older look for images and video.You're probably familiar with famous album artworks from the 1970s.That's what I'd like to achieve,particular album artwork from Pink Floyd would be a good reference.I know that the photographer for the album artwork photographer "hipgnosis" used a hasselblad.I guess it's a no-brainer to say just use filters and add some noise nowadays and change the settings on the camera but what really trying to say what type of camera should I be looking into.Can it be possible to use an older camera model?Wouldn't it be hard to format the picture/video it to a computer to use it and so on?I'm sorry if I was vague or unclear seriously.:confused-55:

Last edited:
Older film gear is cheap these days- even the older medium format cameras are rather affordable today (not dirt cheap but cheap enough compared to what they were). If you like the look of film you can certainly still work with it - many still do.

When it comes to the computer side you can buy scanners which will simply scan a film negative into the computer which you can then edit with photoshop just like a regular photo. High end scanners can be quite expensive; but there are many companies which will develop your film and scan it for you.

The downside to film is continued cost of film itself; you might also find that some more exotic film types are harder to source; the film market is readjusting from massive companies geared up for huge world wideproduction into smaller enterprises suited to fit the now niche film market.

Album art was almost always an exact, square aspect ratio, so there's that: SQUARE image format. Album art spanned the gamut, and was almost always done by VERY skilled professional shooters who really knew their craft. As far as what type of camera to use today, it does not matter all that much. Any one of 100 digital SLR models could do the job. There's much more to a good photo than the camera--there is lighting, composition, post processing, and even before any of that there is the IDEA, and the execution of it.

Thank you both for the help,I really appreciate it!

Many effects could be faked with digital but I have recently gone on a bit of a film binge and ill discuss what I have found, hopefully it will shed some light on what you are looking for. If you have played extensively with photoshop and digital and find its just not giving you what you are looking for, film may be your solution but there are some things to keep in mind.

For a long time film was physically superior to digital and was part of the reason it was considered "better". We live in an age of fast moving tech and as such digital has caught up to film (mainly 35mm) quality and gone bast it in some regards. As such getting out an old 35mm camera will give you the colors of old film and the feel of an old camera but it wont really make different pictures (from a more objective standpoint) than a DSLR can grab now (assuming you have a modern DSLR). Form the work I have done I can generally recreate the feel with digital.

The Hasselblad and Medium Format:

First off, if you really want a Hasselblad they have really come down in price. While they are still expensive they can be had for fair rates. I just picked up a 500CM in a gear trade for a pretty fair deal. Ebay is a bad indicator of them as many are just over priced By It Now auctions. They are out there, and even a broken one can still be fixed. David Odess still services them if you happen to get a good deal on a broken one. While the Hasselblad is a great camera (perhaps the best by some reports) it is also medium format (120 film) which has a very different look than 35mm. A lot of this has to do with the fact that the negative is physically larger and thus will yield an image that is somewhat different looking. That being said there are plenty of medium format digital cameras out there and I think all to often medium format film gets compared to full frame digital which is hard to make a fair comparison on.

You dont need a Hasselbald to break into medium format, there are lots of other options out there for really great 120 cameras. The Rollei stuff can be had for a bit less than the Hasselblad systems and will yield great results. You can pick up something like a Mamiya 645 for a pretty fair price or if you want that hassie look you can get a Kiev-88 but those are a bit dicy on quality control. Shooting medium format wont give you album covers every slide, it may help you to create a certain effect but you control what gets photographed.

But most importantly of all your camera does not matter...

My suggestion would be to get yourself a digital first - and practice, practice, practice. Learn about exposure triangle, composition, etc, etc, etc.. and once you've done that for a while then look at getting into film.

A digital will allow you to learn the photography basics a whole lot cheaper, once you've mastered those then look at getting something like a medium format. Just my 2 cents worth of course, YMMV

Pink Floyd's cover photographer was Storm Thorgerson.
He and Aubrey 'Po' Powell (The founders of Hypghosis) also did work for Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Wishbone Ash, 10cc, Black Sabbath, Wings, Peter Gabriel, and Yes.

Biggest factor affecting the 'look' of any photo is the LIGHTING. Study all the various lighting modes, types, setups, everything You will then be able to do almost any look using almost any camera.

You might like reading this if you missed it: LINK
BOOK

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Awesome more responses!I was recently looking into buying a Canon AE-1,I really should have thought about the expensive of a Hasselblad.I somewhat understand photography isn't necessarily all about "hardware" and "money."

Honestly the look you want can be created in post with a little bit of practice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back