What camera?

noescape

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.

I've decided that I need to look into buying a new camera. My camera is an old Sony Cybershot, 4.1mp, and while it is still functioning- I need something a LOT better.

So, I need your suggestions. I take a lot of pictures of animals in motion, black animals, sometimes people in motion... people, pets, nature, cars... lol a lot of different things. The problem with my camera now is that when I try to take a picture of- say- my dog, it is SO slow! By the time it takes the shot, my dog has moved from whatever I was trying to take the picture of.... :grumpy:

Also I am very much so a beginner.. and I don't have a huge budget right now. ;)

So.... Thanks for any suggestions!

If you want to stay digital then Canon and Nikon make some very good entry level cameras. Now that the 400d (Rebel XTi ) has appeared there should be some good cheap 300Ds or 350 Ds around with a lens or two.

I am sure that if you look around (Ebay etc) there will be something good. Try to stick to an DSLR they are SOOO versitile . And a make you know well. If needed go to a shop and play with one . Pick one YOU feel comfortable with. With a good range of accessories and lenses. (Any Canon or Nikon really).
You may pay a bit more for them. But there is a reason for that..

Oh yes, I should have mentioned that I want to stay digital. lol! I take way too many bad pictures to use a film camera... lol!

Canon 300-350d... Okay, I'll check that out! Thanks!

Add Nikon D70, Pentax 10D, and to a lesser extent the Sony Alpha are also good choices. I say lesser extent only because they are new to the DSLR market and not a lot of people have them here but there are a few.

I would recomend the Rebel XT. I was using a PnS camera and I moved up to the XT and it was incredible. Click my link in my sig to check out some photos taken with it.

I went from a P&S to a Nikon D50 and I wouldn't trade that decision for anything else. If I were in your shoes, I would try to find a Nikon D50 or D70s. Whatever you do, don't get a Nikon D40/x.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone! I'm on some of the camera review sites, comparing. So far it seems like the Rebel is one of the top ones- in the awe factor as well as the price... lol! Not as much as many, I'm sure- but right now I can't afford it right now...

But thanks so much! I'm going to be reviewing here for a while now!

I would also advise you to go and check the cameras out in hand... review sites are great, but holding a camera, looking through the viewfinder, feeling the ergonomics are all a very fun part of buying new equipment... and you can learn if a certain camera fits your hands, your eyes and your vision.

Whatever you do, just get a Nikon. D50 I'd suggest - D80 if you can swing it.

Check out DPReview.com and be sure to see the "Compared To" sections of the review. It'll give you photograph test comparisons between major cameras.

Most reactions

Back