What can be done with this photo?

RockDawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm pretty new to photgraphy and completely clueless when it comes to Photoshop or post processing. I'm trying to get an idea of the practical uses and what can be achieved with some of the tools available.

This photo is obviously over-exposed. Can someone show me how well this can be corrected through software and any other realistic enhancements that can be done and what software you used to achieve it?

2295297966_b5cd0e969a_b.jpg

Actually I personally don't feel as if it is really all that over-exposed, especially for a shot with a lot of snow in it. The image is a little flat maybe, that could easily be fixed with an increase in contrast in photoshop or any other image processing software.

this isn't overexposed. Maybe crop out the little blown out piece of sky in the left upper corner and you're good to go and ad contrast and such to your liking.

pascal

It isn't overexposed. A tiny crop and two equally tiny steps in Photoshop make this a very nice, all normal exposed, well constrasted, colourful photograph:

Step 1 (after the cropping, which I did not document):
RockDawg_step1.jpg

A tiny tweak of the levels, but really very little only, and applied to a selected part of the photo only, leaving the other part all alone: shadows from 0 to 10 and midtones down from 1,00 to 0,90.

With that, everything could have been considered totally all right and ok and all, but I thought, why not bring out the colours of those reddish trees a bit more, so I took to Step 2:
RockDawg_step2.jpg

I upped saturation for the REDs only from 0 to 20.

Here you are, what do you say?

RockDawg_2295297966_b5cd0e969a_b.jpg

Here's a wild edit, I tried changing the color of the water.

web2295297966b5cd0e969ayf3.png

My steps
~ Image> adjustments> shadow/highlight> highlights 100%
~ Fiter> sharpen> Unsharp mask> amt. 29%/ radius 7.1 pixels
~ Selective color> color yellow> cyan -44%, magenta -100%, yellow -100%, black +100%.
~ Flatten image
~ Selective color> color green> cyan +100%, magenta +100%, yellow -100%, black +100%.
~ Flatten image
~ Selective color> color red> cyan -100%, magenta -24%, yellow +100%, black +100%.

The first thing I would have done is to use the measure tool down the side of the building - rotate image "arbitory" and correct the vertical and re-crop. - it does not seem comfortable to view at that angle. LaPhoto's routine is very similar to my own approach.

Wow, I figured this thread was dead only to come back today and see all these replies. Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input and I especially appreciate your time and effort xs400, LaFoto, and RKW3 for having a go at editing my photo.

LaFoto - Yours it what I would be looking for. It is the most true to what I saw that day. Thanks for the instructions on how you achieved it. I will try to duplicate that myself. My problem in the liitle bit I've played with photo editing is that I don't seem to notice the subtle changes as I make them and then go to far. I have a very hard time getting things "just right". I guess I just need more practice.

Fangman - I initially thought the image needed rotated to straighten the building, but I know I held the camera straight and I fell that is the true line of the building from the angle I shot. Do most of you straighten the building no matter what or do you only do it if the shot is actually titled? When you're shooting at angles, lines aren't always going to be straight right? What does anyone else think about this?

Also, I meant to ask...

Is there I could have done when originally taking this shot to keep from losing some the contrast and color?

Here's a wild edit, I tried changing the color of the water.

web2295297966b5cd0e969ayf3.png

My steps
~ Image> adjustments> shadow/highlight> highlights 100%
~ Fiter> sharpen> Unsharp mask> amt. 29%/ radius 7.1 pixels
~ Selective color> color yellow> cyan -44%, magenta -100%, yellow -100%, black +100%.
~ Flatten image
~ Selective color> color green> cyan +100%, magenta +100%, yellow -100%, black +100%.
~ Flatten image
~ Selective color> color red> cyan -100%, magenta -24%, yellow +100%, black +100%.
I am just curious why you would want to make the water green or that nasty blue. I am not sure what water you look at but where I live streams like this look dark brownish naturally from the tannins in the leaves that fall in the water.

I am just curious why you would want to make the water green or that nasty blue. I am not sure what water you look at but where I live streams like this look dark brownish naturally from the tannins in the leaves that fall in the water.

I tried to make it blue, now looking at it I notice I just made it kinda light green. Whatever haha. :confused:

Most reactions

Back