What Canon accessory can't you live without?

Derrel, does canon do anything well? Just curious. ;)

I bought about $10,000 worth of Canon gear in 2006 and 2007, including one full-frame and one APS-C body body, the 50mm f/1.8 nifty fifty (wow, what garbage), two L- lenses the 24-105 L-IS USM and the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM,the Sigma 80-400mm OS, a Sigma 18-125 DC,Canon's 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 135/2.8 Soft Focus, 135 f/2-L, and the Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM macro and the 580 EX-II flash, and the Canon 500D close-up lens. Except for the whacked ergonomics and the weak AF system, the pictures were okay for their day. The 5D had a weak AF system, but a VERY decent sensor in a cheap body. The 20D was "oaky" for its era. The later EOS Rebel Xt I bought for $200 was junky,and I gave that away as a gift to my niece.

But well, you can see from this video that Canon does do some stuff quite well!

So, you're safe and able to sleep well, knowing that your new Canon 5D Mark III is awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought about $10,000 worth of Canon gear in 2006 and 2007, including one full; frame and one APS-C body body, the 50mm f/1.8 nifty fifty (wow, what garbage), two L- lenses the 24-105 L-IS USM and the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM,the Sigma 80-400mm OS, a Sigma 18-125 DC,Canon's 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 135/2.8 Soft Focus, 135 f/2-L, and the Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM macro and the 580 ES-II flash and the Canon 500D close-up lens. Except for the whacked ergonomics and the weak AF system, the pictures were okay for their day. The 5D had a weak AF system, but decent sensor in a cheap body. The 20D was "oaky" for its era. The later EOS Rebel Xt was junky,and I gave that away as a gift to my niece. But well, you can see from this video that Canon does do some stuff quite well! YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AfA2mTMt0u8 So, you're safe and able to sleep well, knowing that your new Canon 5D Mark III is awesome!

I have no worries and I don't need to seek out constant reinforcement of that fact. I also don't need to constantly attack other brands to either make myself feel better or justify my decision.

If nikon has a camera suited for me next time I am ready to purchase, I'll buy it. So I'll keep an open mind.

No, there is no accessory I couldn't live without. There's work arounds and improvisation and electrical tape so I'm sorted.

No shutter release, no problem - I'll use my timer. No tripod, no problem - I'll use a chair. No chair, no problem - I'll tie it to a tree or whatever. Conditions don't suit, no problem - I'll find a different way to shoot. Just give me a camera, a lens and I'm happy.

I bought about $10,000 worth of Canon gear in 2006 and 2007, including one full; frame and one APS-C body body, the 50mm f/1.8 nifty fifty (wow, what garbage), two L- lenses the 24-105 L-IS USM and the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM,the Sigma 80-400mm OS, a Sigma 18-125 DC,Canon's 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 135/2.8 Soft Focus, 135 f/2-L, and the Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM macro and the 580 ES-II flash and the Canon 500D close-up lens. Except for the whacked ergonomics and the weak AF system, the pictures were okay for their day. The 5D had a weak AF system, but decent sensor in a cheap body. The 20D was "oaky" for its era. The later EOS Rebel Xt was junky,and I gave that away as a gift to my niece. But well, you can see from this video that Canon does do some stuff quite well! YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AfA2mTMt0u8 So, you're safe and able to sleep well, knowing that your new Canon 5D Mark III is awesome!

I have no worries and I don't need to seek out constant reinforcement of that fact. I also don't need to constantly attack other brands to either make myself feel better or justify my decision.

If nikon has a camera suited for me next time I am ready to purchase, I'll buy it. So I'll keep an open mind.

Yeah...whatever. Unlike many people, I actually went out and BOUGHT MYSELF a Canon system to see how good it was. So my feelings about it were based on basically a five-year trial. It didn't measure up to my expectations. I've slowly been selling it off to another TPF member, who has had several of the lenses going on a year and a half now. He finally got tired of the limitations of Canon APS-C and the 60D, and bought himself a Canon 6D. Which is a good move, since Canon has not made any substantial improvements in ANY of their APS-C cameras since 2009. Except in terms of shooting video.

Yeah...whatever. Unlike many people, I actually went out and BOUGHT MYSELF a Canon system to see how good it was. So my feelings about it were based on basically a five-year trial. It didn't measure up to my expectations. I've slowly been selling it off to another TPF member, who has had several of the lenses going on a year and a half now. He finally got tired of the limitations of Canon APS-C and the 60D, and bought himself a Canon 6D. Which is a good move, since Canon has not made any substantial improvements in ANY of their APS-C cameras since 2009. Except in terms of shooting video.

That's all well and good. It's just so tiresome to see the constant anti canon rhetoric. We all get it.

Back in 1902, I went and bought myself one of them there Canon lenses. Them were nice sons of a bit**es! Them took nice shots I tell ya!!!!

That's all well and good. It's just so tiresome to see the constant anti canon rhetoric. We all get it.

I have been playing along under the impression that noone here was really anti anything... i thought that we were all just "poking the bear" ,so to speak, with some good natured antics. Everyone pretty much knows that with new technology being what it is, brand doesnt really matter any more to any significant real usage degree.

I will sometimes rib my partner with the old "hes just an EMT" joke, and he counters with the "do you want to speak to the Medic in charge, or the EMT that knows whats going on" routine... Its all in good fun.

Im suddenly having bad high school flashbacks of ribbings for wearing Fila sneakers instead of Nike's. that was not "all in good fun"...

I have been playing along under the impression that noone here was really anti anything... i thought that we were all just "poking the bear" ,so to speak, with some good natured antics. Everyone pretty much knows that with new technology being what it is, brand doesnt really matter any more to any significant real usage degree. I will sometimes rib my partner with the old "hes just an EMT" joke, and he counters with the "do you want to speak to the Medic in charge, or the EMT that knows whats going on" routine... Its all in good fun. Im suddenly having bad high school flashbacks of ribbings for wearing Fila sneakers instead of Nike's. that was not "all in good fun"...

Oh it's good nature for some folks but I am sure if you asked Derrel he could name 10 reasons why nikons have better straps than canon.

And fila was for looosers.

I have been playing along under the impression that noone here was really anti anything... i thought that we were all just "poking the bear" ,so to speak, with some good natured antics. Everyone pretty much knows that with new technology being what it is, brand doesnt really matter any more to any significant real usage degree. I will sometimes rib my partner with the old "hes just an EMT" joke, and he counters with the "do you want to speak to the Medic in charge, or the EMT that knows whats going on" routine... Its all in good fun. Im suddenly having bad high school flashbacks of ribbings for wearing Fila sneakers instead of Nike's. that was not "all in good fun"...

Oh it's good nature for some folks but I am sure if you asked Derrel he could name 10 reasons why nikons have have better straps than canon.

whoa whoa whoa...hold on......back up there....
people use their OEM straps? on their cameras?

Brand should not matter... and to a good photographer, brand does not matter. The camera isn't taking the pictures... the photographer is. As long as the gear is adequate the photographer will handle the rest. Both brand's are adequate.

This isn't to say you can't find one feature and say "I like the way brand X implements this." But at the same time you can pick another feature that brand Y handles better. Neither brand has a shortage of good photographers using their gear.

The OP was asking for advice on accessories other than lenses. I think I counted four different L series lenses in Ken's signature... he's probably got good glass mostly covered for now.

Tragically, Ken's thread was de-railed by a brand-war debate.

I think I'm going to have to PM the moderators about putting an "UN-Like" button on Derrels Nikon better than Canon comments ;>)... maybe he's been drinking some kind of home brew...

What Canon accessories could I not live without? Considering there's third party flashes, grips, and even hand straps, I'd say 'nothing'. But having genuine Canon flash, grip, batteries and hand strap does provide a level of satisfaction in knowing it won't be failing with unrecognizable battery, or something like that.

Brand should not matter... and to a good photographer, brand does not matter. The camera isn't taking the pictures... the photographer is. As long as the gear is adequate the photographer will handle the rest. Both brand's are adequate.

This isn't to say you can't find one feature and say "I like the way brand X implements this." But at the same time you can pick another feature that brand Y handles better. Neither brand has a shortage of good photographers using their gear.

The OP was asking for advice on accessories other than lenses. I think I counted four different L series lenses in Ken's signature... he's probably got good glass mostly covered for now.

Tragically, Ken's thread was de-railed by a brand-war debate.

Well Said!

I want to thank all the childish people for destroying a perfectly reasonable start to a thread. I posted this in the CANON forum area so as not to draw this type of behavior. But alas... I failed and assumed people could act mature and accept a simple thread for what it was.

Since my thread is already off topic and I don't have much time on this Forum do the Mods step in very often to restrain this type of behavior or is it mostly a free for all?

Back to my Post, I was looking to see if there where any items I might have overlooked that I should consider a revisit.

My SMDV Remote Shutter Release Cable and my Polaroid Hot Shoe three axis triple bubble level for Canon. OK, ok, so they may not be Canon accessories but they are my Canon's accessories.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back