What caused...

AIRIC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.airic.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...these prurple shadows in this photo. I have noticed it a few times mostly on cloudy days with an out of focus background. There is a little around the left top part of the head as well.

20feb_0816_edited.jpg

Thanks for any info.

Eric

My first thought was you've got a digital camera with some kind of chromatic aberration. I did a bit of research, and quite frankly it's a bit of a hot topic. Here's one of the more intelligent pages, but it's still a tad hard to follow:

Purple Fringing

"Purple fringing" is the most common type of chromatic aberration in digital cameras. Edges of contrasty subjects suffer most, especially if the light comes from behind

The two times I have noticed this it was photos shot under these conditions. Ant, yes it was the 70-300ED.

Eric

I've experienced this with my 70-300G lens too, as you can see of this crop from one of my pics.

It's an unfortunate factor with the more consumer level lenses. I've never seen it on my Sigma 50-500mm

F16gear.jpg

Thanks Ant. This is only the second time I have noticed it. How do you like that Sigma 50-500? How is it for quick focusing and sharpness?

Eric

I like my Bigma a lot. It's much sharper than my 70-300mm at all focal lengths. It's very quick to focus thanks to the HSM, and quiet too.

Most reactions

Back