What Childhood Memory..

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Luminosity, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Luminosity

Luminosity No longer a newbie, moving up!

...has been sitting in the dusty back room of your mind but sparked up recently ...?

Two of mine have come back to me, one last night and one just now, and both have been sparked up again from threads on this forum.

1) My mum bathing my little sister, as a bubby, in the bathroom or kitchen sink. I used to wish I could fit in the sink as well because it looked fun.

2) Being at my grandparents house and my pa ( grandfather ) getting the projector out and putting on movies for me. This wouldnt happen all the time, only every now and then, and I would sit and watch Looney Tunes cartoons on the 'big screen' in delight. That was just such a treat for me !

What things bring back kidlet memories for you ? Is it certain scents ( usually thats a major inducement of memories ), is it a certain picture, a song ....?

2. Luminosity

Also, how would you compare your childhood to kids lives today ? Would you trade ?

I wouldnt trade in a heartbeat. Kids these days seem to grow up way too fast, become wise to the world before they need to. As much as it's good to teach a child about the world, I think it needs to be paced and they need to enjoy the wonderful magical sanctuary of childhood as much as possible.

I loved the fact that, unless I had my nose buried in a book, I didnt WANT to stay indoors....I was always in a hurry to get OUT and play with my friends. We'd spend hours out in the fresh air, running around, playing on the swings or on the monkeybars, discovering our own secret little 'magic forests' hidden in the plains of suburbia, getting up to cheeky stuff like 'knick-knocking' ( knocking on peoples doors and running away ), playing hopscotch or jumping rope.... that kinda thing. We didnt have any problem with obesity like kids today do because we were always active.

I tell ya one thing, when I have kids tv time is limited to one hour a day. There will be a poker chip system whereby, if they do chores they earn a chip to use when they want. Tv time will cost them a certain amount of chips etc. They can opt to use all their chips at once then go back to earning them again or to stretch the chips out. Playing outside with friends or using their imagination during their free time however wont cost them any chips. ;)

3. Verbal

Verbal $100

I was lucky enough I think to get a bit of both types of childhoods... when I was little all I wanted to do was read or play outdoors, like you. But then also when I got to be 11 or 12 I started getting into computers and stuff. I think I had (/have, lol) it pretty good!

4. MommyOf4Boys

MommyOf4Boys TPF Noob!

Oh heck, i would not trade my childhood for ones of today! When I was a child, it was ok to run around the neighborhood until after dark, playing with my friends. In today's world, that is not the safest thing to do.

I think a couple of my childhood memories that stand out are:

1. My sister peeling the paint off of my grandma's kitchen wall and blaming it on me. I got a spanking and had to eat liver and peas for dinner.

2. Riding my bike off of the end of the dock into the lake behind our house. Then having to lug the thing back out of the lake to do it all over again, all summer long!! HOW FUN!! LOL

5. bantor

bantor TPF Noob!

It was very similar for me as it was for Verbal. I grew up on a farm in northern Alberta so I spent all of my time outside. I loved every second of it. And beleive it or not the childhood memories that I have been thinking of more latly have been some of the greatest things I did playing in the wild woods of Alberta North:
    1.Fort building, I built more forts that I could possibly count. THe one I remember in most detail was this really cool 2 story fort.
    2.exploring, I would spend hours and hours just walking around the woods exploring what I thought to be uncharted forest.

I loved doing that but as I got older I found technology and the figgen stuff became my main interest.

What sparks my memories of childhood are normally one of two things, music, or seeing something that reminds me of my childhood games.

6. Luminosity

Yeah, I think computers has it's role in kids lives today. A lot of kid's are so much more computer savvy then their parents it aint funny ! It is a necessary thing to learn for them as the world has turned into the computer age.

Like with everything in life, balance is important, it's key. If they want to sit on the computer for an hour and build websites instead of the tv then I wouldnt object :lol:

7. Luminosity

Did you ever fall on your bike when you hit the water yeowww :confused: !

I bet you mastered the art of jumping well and truly away from the bike lol. It's funny that, when you're a kid, you find an activity then obsessively do it over and over again.

And :spank:'s your sister. You should've sneaked the liver and peas onto her plate when your parents werent watching and told her to eat em or else you were dobbing on her !
    My trick was to go to the bathroom a couple of times with the undesirable food in a tissue...then I would flush it down the toilet :D
    My sister tried a simliar method, but the cheeky sh1te went upstairs to my bedroom and hid it behind my bed. A smell kicked in after a few days and my parents and I were all "Huh, what IS that.." ? It was about a few months before mum found the food. And I got blamed !

The world is a scary place, this is true. Paedophiles ( aptly nicknamed 'rock spiders' ) and their ilk are indeed out there. Then again, they have always been around, even when we were young....the media just highlights it more now. I had street smarts ( like i'm sure most of us did seeing as we were out there so much ) and I got approached many many times by men in cars or on foot. I always used my head and gut instinct and walked into the nearest house to alert someone to them. The stalking men, being the cowards they essentially are, always took off pretty damn fast. Kids need to be very aware of these people and how to deal with a potentially dangerous situation. The more street savvy kids are from a young age, the better it will serve them as adults. My parents taught me all about what to do in these situations and I was well aware yet it was balanced with innocence and fun. I need to get their formula man because they did it right lol !

8. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

Definately ture about paedophiles. There's no proof numbers of child abductions or child abuse has increased at all in the past 40 years. There are greater dangers like the ncrease in drugs or gun crime for example.

I'll get back to you ont eh childhood thing when I'm not a child anymore :p

9. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, pedophiles and other creepy characters have always been around. We get nostaligic for our childhoods only when we can look back and remember the security we felt then. It feels like "the good old days" because as children, we simply lacked the awareness of events that no doubt caused our parents strife. Memory is indeed a funny thing. :)

I still get flashes of running around playing with the other kids, feeling very excited to be old enough to be out there with them. And I remember swinging off of vines over a creek that ran behind our house, and my mom gasping when I came home with a tick in my head. :lol:

I remember playing records with my older sister, listening to the Beatles while we sat on the floor and played cards (she always won). Those were rare moments of truce, cause my brother and me usually ganged up on her. Poor sis.

10. Luminosity

:lol: Ok, we'll be waitin buddy !

11. panzershreck

panzershreck TPF Noob!

my sister and i still mess with eachother (i'm 20 she's 23), i was at her house and one of her friends (who only had brothers) asked us questions about how you wrestle eachother down when it's a male and female (basically, asking how i never did anything physically damaging)

reminded me of when i was a kid, i was pitching and she was batting, and well... obviously i throw the ball and it hits her in the forehead :lmao:

that also reminded me of when i was 3 or so and tripped down the slope of a mountain, gashing my forehead open (you can still feel the skull's scar, but the tissue has long since grown normal so no scar is revealed), that reminded my sister of when we were playing and she accidentally knocked me into a fan, cutting my head (sending me to the hospital)

that reminded me yet again of the countless times we knocked eachother onto the hardwood floor at our old house, giving eachother tons of big bruises

needless to say, we all developed normally :confused:

12. Luminosity

Bantor, that is so cool ! Those forts sound like they were fun to make and even more fun to 'live in' :thumbsup:

Wasnt it a good feeling to think that you'd found a place that was secretly yours ? That no one had ever been there before. Little Christopher Columbus's/Captain Cooks, heh. Then you would meet with your closest friend/s and take them to it and you'd all explore it and believe you could start your own 'brave new world' and have adventures in it, like the kids in books do ;).