What could I have done better?

hokies2379

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
IMG_6334.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I think the main thing that could be improved is the positions and intensity of the lighting. You've got a very bright light on each side, causing blown highlights, but shadows and dark eyes on the face. Dropping the sidelights down 1.5 - 2 stops and bringing in a fill on-axis to even things out a bit would have given an overall better exposure IMO. Still great concept, and I think with a little refinement, this will be excellent.

I think the main thing that could be improved is the positions and intensity of the lighting. You've got a very bright light on each side, causing blown highlights, but shadows and dark eyes on the face. Dropping the sidelights down 1.5 - 2 stops and bringing in a fill on-axis to even things out a bit would have given an overall better exposure IMO. Still great concept, and I think with a little refinement, this will be excellent.

Still definitely trying to figure out lighting. Thank you for the feedback!

A Kleenex for big sis, to better simulate crying, might have helped. Just that one prop...and maybe some fake tears?

As tirediron mentioned, yeah, bringing a light around, closer to the camera-lens axis, would ahve given better light on theiur faces and eyeballs, for more focus on their expressions. Such a small thing, yet so important.

An issue is two, very intense lights, sort of competing for attention. And the angle the side-lights hiot the girls caused burn-out...light coming in from the sides, and from the sides and behind even more so, gets very intense, and causes loss of detail in little sister's chek and nose line...that could have been countered by an on-axis light.

This is tricky to C&C. Not sure how many lights you have, nor what the actual intention was. Could have tried blowing bubbles, or hand puppets, or unicorns on sticks, dolls, iPads, smartphones, or the use other props instead of the umbrella?

What they said ^.

I'm finding the little block over the smaller girl's head very distracting, I'm trying to figure out what it is instead of looking at the young ladies.

On a positive point, it looks like you have two willing and attractive models who'll be around for a few more years. :)

Concept is cool with some really well done elements.

I agree that the fake tears are a little too fake. As a backwards old coot, I also hate to see that much application of cosmetics to girls so young. Maybe just me...

I agree that the fake tears are a little too fake. As a backwards old coot, I also hate to see that much application of cosmetics to girls so young. Maybe just me...

There were no tears, fake or otherwise and their only cosmetics were both wearing lip gloss.

There were no tears, fake or otherwise and their only cosmetics were both wearing lip gloss.

Probably poorly worded- yeah- I know that the she was faking the crying. If they're only using lip gloss, then your processing makes it look like they are wearing more (which is pretty easy to do in post).

Was just my opinion- probably wrong and you are ALWAYS safe ignoring my input. ;) :D

Probably poorly worded- yeah- I know that the she was faking the crying. If they're only using lip gloss, then your processing makes it look like they are wearing more (which is pretty easy to do in post).

Was just my opinion- probably wrong and you are ALWAYS safe ignoring my input. ;) :D

Nope, all opinions ARE appreciated! Thank you so much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back