What could I have done do make this better?

Miller6386

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was taken last minute with a Sony DSC H300 auto mode about 50' away.... I think it turned out great but I would like to know if there are things I could have done to make it better.... I am stepping up to a D3300 soon and would like to know what could have made this a better shot Thanks!!

A little post processing for one.
Edited.jpg

It's not a particularly strong subject, but a nice photo of a rabbit none the less.

What would make this better isn't really a camera issue. A better picture would have been if the Rabbit was "doing something"....at least his/her eyes were looking at you.

A little bit of a crop, reduces the business of the whole shot. Now there is a little bit of drama, with Mr bunny looking a bit apprehensive. Sometimes a crop is all we can do with many of our shots just to give them a bit of a story. Otherwise My play with later folder gets another photo. Its a nice shot that needed a little extra. TFS Pete
Edited_cr.jpg

Thanks guys! I was pretty happy how it turned out. We were actually trying to get some shots of some deer but I just wasn't quick enough. However where we pulled over I just happened to see him sitting there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Post processing could remove some of the clutter and make the rabbit stand out more in the clear. Good practice.

View attachment 121345
Photoshop or illustrator is something else I need to explore. But that will come later.

That's pretty incredible how you removed the grass and twig! Nice work.

Just a casual 5 minute rough fix with Photoshop CC 2016. Photoshop can be a career unto itself because of the complex features if you wanted but it's also useful just for quick fixes using some of the simple tools and techniques. In the US it's only 10 bucks a month which is not too much if you use it a lot.

am stepping up to a D3300 soon and would like to know what could have made this a better shot Thanks!!
keep going there and taking more photos...over and over and over
Right now, it's just a rabbit in the grass.

besides the tree branches over the rabbit and maybe a little post processing nothing is wrong with it.. i think its a very nice photo overall.

I prefer the original to the version with sharpening and saturation added. Rabbits are soft dull things and should look so.

I think the stick at the top of the frame is the worst problem...that's the big issue...the stick at the edge is causing what some call "edge flicker". Edge flicker is when an object of some type, some type of element, is right at the edge of the picture, and it draws the eye repeatedly away from the main subject; the edges of the picture area are very powerful. I do not mind the lens's slight purple color aberrations on the rabbit's back, or the slightly soft fur, none of the brushy clutter bothers me much, since the rabbit is a creature of the fields and woods, and all that stuff is its normal habitat.

The second issue is the lighting. I think the lighting is soft, delicate, lovely lighting, with delicate sunlight present, but it is not translated quite to its fullest potential. The way the highlights, and the darkest values are shown is not bringing out that lovely, evening light type of emotional feeling--the idea I have in my mind about this particular image is how to best show that late-in-the-day type of golden light feeling...that's usually done with the curves adjustment function of the image editing program, and also perhaps with white balance and or selective color manipulation or split-toning. I think the idea of rabbit-in-situ is adequately strong in this, but the feeling of the light is the area to work on adjusting--making it more about "the feeling of the woods's edge", and less a good straight rendering of a rabbit.

I would work on the way the highlights, mid-tones, and the darkest parts are rendered...striving for a delicate, light touch to the highlights, emphasizing the golden/yellowish hues and the greens, and not worrying too much about the other parts of the shot. Make it more about the "feeling of evening"...and oh, look, there's a rabbit in this lovely light.

I think increasing contrast works better for this than increasing sharpness. Mostly because the grass is smoother.

2usfp5x.jpg

Post processing could remove some of the clutter and make the rabbit stand out more in the clear. Good practice.

View attachment 121345
Photoshop or illustrator is something else I need to explore. But that will come later.

That's pretty incredible how you removed the grass and twig! Nice work.

Great pic! I'm learning how to use Photoshop more and more each day. I love it so far!! It's amazing what it can do with photos.

:)

Most reactions

Back