What difference will the body actually make?

Looking at your photography, I'm not sure you're going to see too much difference in image quality from what you're using now, all have the same pixel density. The 350D and 20/30D all use the same lenses. So the only real difference you may see is in the handling and ruggedness of the models you're looking at. If you want to step up the image quality, I'd suggest looking a little higher up the Canon range to the 40D or 50D, or if that's too pricey, give the 450D a look over.

As Chris said the diffrence in upper models is the build quality. The uppper end cameras are metal as opposed to plastic, they are weather sealed, to an extent as such. Then there are features which may or, may not be relavant to improve images.

If it's a question of image quality between bodies and lenses, the answer is always lenses.

And you're images look great. A new body will make no difference.

Not much.

The features will make the most difference though.

hey VI,

Just wondering if you were still a mentor? And if so, you got room for one more student? I couldnt figure out how to PM you, so i gotta ask you publicly. I like your tough love style and ive got the determination to learn

let me know:mrgreen:

I have the rebel xsi and I wish I would have bought the 40d. The 5d was way out of my price range for now. The problem with the rebel is not handling noise at high ISO's very well unless the exposure is perfect. I hate noise even though most people would not notice it. The lenses do make a lot of difference though. As soon as I bought something better than the kits lens, I was amazed at the sharpness and clarity.

the lens is the most important part of your equipment! put your money there. the 30-40d body will be more comfortable to use and has more megapixel if you intend to pring your photos on large sizes, but if those are not your intensions, saty with the 350d and improve the quality of your lenses with the canon L series.

While i agree that there won't be much (any) of a difference between a 350D and a X0D, i don't understand why some people keep saying that between a body and a lens, the lens will always be more important in terms of image quality.
In this day in age, when everybody obsesses about pixel counts, high iso performance and sensor sizes - how can you keep saying that the body means less than the lens?

It doesn't, not anymore.

If you have a 16-35 L and a 350D, for example, don't get the 16-35 Mark II, if you're looking to improve the quality of your images.

Get a 5D or 1D.

If it's a question of image quality between bodies and lenses, the answer is always lenses.

And you're images look great. A new body will make no difference.

Amen.

It kills me everytime I see someone with a $2K+ new 900MP supercam and a slow kit lens.

LWW

If you have to ask, it probably won't make much of a difference.

If you have a 16-35 L and a 350D, for example, don't get the 16-35 Mark II, if you're looking to improve the quality of your images.

Get a 5D or 1D.

If one is shooting with a 16-35L and a 350D, and isn't getting GREAT quality images, perhaps it is the photographer who needs to improve.

hey VI,

Just wondering if you were still a mentor? And if so, you got room for one more student? I couldnt figure out how to PM you, so i gotta ask you publicly. I like your tough love style and ive got the determination to learn

let me know:mrgreen:

Yes. Once you have ten posts or so, the PM's open up to you.

I have the rebel xsi and I wish I would have bought the 40d. The 5d was way out of my price range for now. The problem with the rebel is not handling noise at high ISO's very well unless the exposure is perfect. I hate noise even though most people would not notice it. The lenses do make a lot of difference though. As soon as I bought something better than the kits lens, I was amazed at the sharpness and clarity.

You'd be sadly disappointed with a 40D. It has the same sensor as the XSI for the most part and IQ will be just about the same.

Invest in glass! Bodies die and malfunction over time, but glass is forever!! Well, almost forever if you take care of it :). I've seen some great pictures come out of the 350D and 400D. I think most people jump to a different body depending on what they plan to use it for..ex..faster FPS, AF and great high ISO performance..unless you feel that you need those than I don't think you need to make the jump. People switch bodies pretty frequently, but not so much with lenses.

Going back to the original question: No, a new body wont improve image quality.

There are different things to look for in a body, and image quality isnt one of them, you would upgrade the body if you wanted:
Faster shutter, lower noise at higher ISO, full frame sensor, menu features, live view, vibrating dust removal, etc.

You get a different lens if you want:
Better (or different) image quality, more/less zoom, image stabilization, wider field of view, higher/lower depth of focus, higher aperture for faster shooting in low light, less CA, macro capability, etc.

Simple right?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back