What do I need for results like this...

ViciousSummer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What sort of lighting/equipment would i need to get results like these product images?

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/browse/list.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=945&deptFolderId=933

I've been less then happy with 80% off the product photos that I've been taking lately. Every photo seems like it needs more light, but I'm already using five separate 100 watt lights!

I would love to be able to do it cheap (no brainer :p ), but I am willing to spend some money to do it right.

Not that hard to do with 3 lights and a white background. But 100w isn't going to do it for ya. If you are wanting to go cheap. I would suggest getting a few 500w work lights. The color balance may be an issue, so you might have to fix in PP.

KevinR said:
Not that hard to do with 3 lights and a white background. But 100w isn't going to do it for ya. If you are wanting to go cheap. I would suggest getting a few 500w work lights. The color balance may be an issue, so you might have to fix in PP.
I agree with Kevin. Only, work lights are hot lights! Not pleasant in confined spaces and a fire hazard. So I'd strongly recommend 3 slaved flashguns instead. Wireless if possible. Reflect them via (D-I-Y) reflectors faking 'softboxes' onto the subject. They'll get you plenty light, so smaller apertures, and better DoF control. No color balance issues.

or a three head lighting kit, one light for the subject two on the background, try to get the background evenly lit, two stops brighter than the subject, then shoot at the subject light aperture =
ie: background @ f22 subject @f11

Most reactions

Back