What do I need?

3of11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at purchasing either Canon XTi or 40D and am trying to figure out the total price I would be paying. I am just wondering what extras I will need to buy. Do you suggest an extra battery? Will one lens (28-135mm, stabilized) be enough? What else would you suggest? I just don't want to start buying a camera that I can't afford to buy all I need for it. Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thank you.

You probably don't need an extra battery but if you do, check out www.sterlingtek.com, you can get two of them for around $20 plus shipping.

The camera itself won't come with a memory card, so you will need one. Many places will include one when you buy a camera, but that depends on where you buy and what 'kit' you get. There are plenty of places to get memory cards, Costco is usually pretty good (if you have a membership). I hear that Newegg.com is a pretty good site for that, but they don't deliver to Canada, so I don't know for sure.

The 28-135mm IS, is a decent lens for starting out. My one concern is that it won't be very wide on a camera like the XTi (or any of the digital rebel models or the 20D, 30D, 40D etc.)

I would recommend the EF-S 17-85mm IS, which is basically the same lens, but in a digital only EF-S format. That's a personal choice though, but I do suggest you get into a camera store to try out those lenses on that body, just to be sure that you know what you are getting.

So besides a memory card, you shouldn't need anything else to start out with. Plenty of optional stuff to think about though...Maybe a camera bag, tripod, circular polarizing filter.

What do you plan on shooting?

I plan on mostly photographing people.

Thanks for the advice on lenses. I really am kind of clueless on what is good since I am just starting out. I will do some further researching and go to a camera store to test them out. Which lens would be best for photographing people?

There is no 'best' lens for photographing people. However, you typically want to avoid really wide angels when shooting portraits because they cause distortion. 85mm to 100mm is a nice length for shooting people, especially head shots. However, you need to have enough room to shoot, especially if you want full body shots.

I suggest getting a lens that covers the 'normal' range, which is about 17mm to 60mm on your camera. Use that for a while and then you will have a better idea of what you want.

I plan on mostly photographing people.

Sorry for the string of questions, but people doing what? :wink:

If it's really nice portraiture, then lighting basics are a must -- some people like www.strobist.com for the nuts and bolts. (And you'll eventually need at least a good flash to do it well.)

For pictures of people playing sports or in bands, you'll need a fast lens -- one with a large aperture.

For snapshots or "man on the street" shots, you may not need an SLR at all in some cases.

My focus will be portraiture and lots of head shots. I love to go in close. I am sorry to trouble you with all of my newbie questions, but I really love the advice you've given me. Would this be a good lens?
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLR's
I think my next step is to go look and try out cameras. Thanks for ALL the great info!

I would recommend the EF-S 17-85mm IS, which is basically the same lens, but in a digital only EF-S format. That's a personal choice though, but I do suggest you get into a camera store to try out those lenses on that body, just to be sure that you know what you are getting.

;)

Most reactions

Back