what do I need

sonia718

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What lens do I need to get better pictures of flowers? I was using Canon Rebel Xsi 18-55 lens.

IMG_4287.jpg
IMG_4291.jpg
[/IMG]

Faster and Macro lens would be an improvement but in the meanwhile drop your ISO.

Better glass. A 50mm 1.8 will work. If you're wanting closer just get yourself some macor filters to start off.

For example there is a very good close up filter produced by canon: 500D. It is not expensive and produce good results especially with a zoom (55-200)

Sonia
before you move to a "better" lens, maybe you should practice more with what you have.

I have the same lens and have learned to take better shots with it.
You may do like I did. Buy a better lens and end up with the same kind of shots. Practice, listen, and practice some more.

BTW: welcome to the forum

A 50mm 1.8 will work.

Seconded. Great sharpness and depth of field - well worth the $100.

Also, as someone else said, lower ISO. Since you're shooting on "Exposure Program = normal program (2)" ISO is really the only setting you need to worry about. 100, 200 max.. higher ISO (1600 in your case) as far as I'm concerned are for photos that you don't have time to set up for, like sports, etc.

You can get good flower shots with a kit lens though. Try some different stuff, maybe mount on a tripod..

Most reactions

Back