What do I want??

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Ms. Leah, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Ms. Leah

Ms. Leah TPF Noob!

I've done a few weddings for friends with my Nikon 35mm. Now I'm thinking of going digital. I've seen the difference between the pictures I took and what my photographer took at my wedding. She used a medium format camera. So Beautiful!! Is there a digital camera that produces pictures comparable to a medium format film camera? Is there such a thing as medium format digital? I'm so confused. I've been looking at the Nikon D2x, and the Canon Marks. Will they produce a picture that clear? I'd like to get the Canon 5D, which has 12.8 mps. Will that take the same picture as these other two cameras? What is the difference when considering the quality of the picture? :confused:

2. duncanp

duncanp TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i'd reccommend the 5D over the D2x as it has a full frame sensor and it will probably be your best option unless you spen an extra two grand... the picture quality wont be as good as a medium format. Mamiya have released a digital Medium Format camera but it costs around $15000 :(

Hoped this helped..

Get the 5D ;)

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The best Digital cameras (under $12,000) are as good as/or slightly better than 35mm film, or so they say. People who use it are still saying that medium format film is still much better.

As mentioned, there are medium format digital cameras and even digital backs for older medium format cameras....as high as 22 MP (or more by now) but they are very expensive.

You can make nice prints up to 20"x30" with a 12MP, 8MP and maybe even a 6MP DSLR...so if that's what you're after...digital might work for you. Of course, prints that large probably look best when made from medium format film.

4. Ms. Leah

Ms. Leah TPF Noob!

:wink: Thanks for the opinions. I kinda figured the 5D would be the best. I didn't think that the other two digital cameras would be comparable to a medium format. Such a bummer. I guess I was wishfully thinking. But it's good to know that someone else leans to the 5D with me. You two are a big help!

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One thing you might consider is using a medium format camera for the formals where mobility isn't such an issue, and digital for walk-abouts. Even though I am a heavy digital user, I still think formals deserve MF. It doesn't have to be an expensive Hassie.

6. Ms. Leah

Ms. Leah TPF Noob!

Thanks for the advice! That sounds like a really good idea. The best yet.

7. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I agree with this entirely. When I used to do weddings I would shoot everything candid and not for large enlargement with my Nikon F100. I would then use a Hblad 500 for the formals and finally a Contax T3 for the reception. Now I hire a 1DSMkII for the candids and indoor shots and use my Yashica for the formals. Take every important shot with at least two different cameras.

This is where digital is great - you can instantly review for closed eyes / basic facial expression. Any digital SLR is going to do the job for 90% of the shots, but I believe that MF should be used for the ones which are the likely buyers - the group shots and the couple shots.

Rob

8. Ms. Leah

Ms. Leah TPF Noob!

Sounds like you really know what you are talking about. I need to buy two cameras now. What do I look for in a good medium format camera? Is there anything I should know before purchasing? Thanks.

9. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Yes. You want something heavy duty which was designed for abuse. You ideally want multiple backs or something which is EASY to load.

The Hassleblad 500CM is ideal, with the regular 80mm f2.8 lens and a perhaps two 6x4.5 backs. They can be had for under £500 now as a kit and are one of the world's best camera setups. Other models to consider are the Mamiya 645, Bronica ETRSi, Rollei 9009 (Is that right??), anything Hassleblad beginning 5xx... er help me out here... The Bronica's flimsy compared to the others, but you can get one hell of a good deal on a near brand-new kit (under £350 new in some places)

Don't use a TLR/folder for a wedding unless you're a strong personality ready to stand up to lots of bad mis-conception of what is and isn't a "real" camera. I can handle this abuse, but every interfering sod (and weddings are a breeding ground for "experts") will cuss you and your camera and look to see fault. This is never a good start, as the majority of a wedding is convincing people you know what you're doing!

I love the Contax T2 and T3 as they are world class compacts which take awesome images. They command quite a lot of money these days though.

I would recommend getting a mid-range Canon like the 20D or the 5D with a grip to make it look more "pro". This is enough camera to convince anyone - however, it's my opinion that a 350D is too small to convince people that it's "proper". Wedding psychology you see?

I would probably recommend a Hassy for wedding work. The cameras are bulletproof, they feel awesome in your hand and you can figure it out without a manual - it does exactly what you need.

Rob

10. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's hard to beat a Hassy. You certainly shouldn't get Uncle Jim questioning your equipment choice.

The Koni-Omega Rapid (6x7) is a press-style rangefinder camera with changable backs and lenses (sharp!) that used to be popular with some wedding photographers. Though in this day and age, you may get people diving for cover when you advance the film. It can give the impression that you are throwing the slide on a semi-automatic pistol.

Mamiya C220 and C330 cameras (6x6) also were popular, but they are TLRs. They do have interchangable lenses.

If I had the cash, I'd probably go with the 5D and either the Hassleblad 500CM or Rollei 6000-something as first choice, with the 20D and Koni-Omega as second, though out of all of the above, I've only used the Koni-Omega myself (also own a 10D). And I agree with Rob about getting the vertical grip. It's a must for me.

11. Ms. Leah

Ms. Leah TPF Noob!

You guys are really helping me out and I really appreciate it. I've decided I am getting the Canon 5D, but as for the medium I'm not sure. I'm just starting out, and I do have to say that I like photography because I'm a very visual person. When it comes to pictures I do well. When it comes to equipment, I know nothing. Guess I should have taken a course on understanding different cameras. Do they have those? Anyway, I'm a little confused. What does TLR stand for? Please don't be afraid to treat me as though I know nothing about different cameras. I don't. :wink: I especially don't understand medium format camera talk. What's all this about backs? And special film? Anything you guys could let me know about these cameras is very appreciated. You're awesome!!

12. photoboy15

photoboy15 TPF Noob!

Ill recommend the Mamyia RB67's. Tough, rugged, mechanical and 6x7 neg size with revolving back. Disadvantages - heavier & 10 shot per roll of 120 compared to 15 for 645 camera. But you'll be on a tripod for formals and 220 backs will give you 20 pick a couple of those and learn how to change fast your in good shape. Some people don't like the size of them but I shoot RZ's hand held so I'm used to it.