What do most pros shoot?

It really depends...While the camera is important but having a certain camera does not make you a better photographer. It's your skills, knowledge of handling your camera, and creativity that makes you a better photographer! You could have the most expensive camera possible but still produce poor quality images. :)

What really matters is your knowledge and the type glass you shoot with!

I consider myself a budding semi - quasi - professamatuer that gets better with ever click of the shutter. I have been asked to do weddings...NEVER AGAIN! That is, unless the bride and groom say that money is no object. I personally specialize in aircraft, nature, kids, and senior pictures. I have had quite a bit of success with senior pics. I have decided, however, that I will not post most of my work anywhere on the web for the time being...I had several images stolen and that made me rather angry. Basically, if it looks cool, I will shoot it.

It really depends...While the camera is important but having a certain camera does not make you a better photographer. It's your skills, knowledge of handling your camera, and creativity that makes you a better photographer! You could have the most expensive camera possible but still produce poor quality images. :)

What really matters is your knowledge and the type glass you shoot with!

Do people even read the thread? You would think by the third page people would know the OP is asking about subject matter and not equipment.

Anyways, I think the reason you see so many wedding photographers on forums is that it's probably one of the easiest best paying avenues to get into. You have legit pros that can easily make at least $1,500 on on wedding with the ability to make much more than that. Then you have the noobs with cameras that don't know what they're doing, but they want to start making money anyways and charge next to nothing an deliver a CD of 1000 craptastic photos for $200-$500.

Weddings can be nightmares and good wedding photographers know this and know how to control it. They're prepared and they know what to shoot, when to shoot, and how to shoot it. I hate weddings.

It's also harder to get into other avenues like journalism, editorial, commercial, etc... Not just anyone can spend $400 on a used DSLR and a lens and get a job at a local paper or shooting for businesses and such. There's usually already established photographers in these markets that means you're fighting with other shooters who have more experience and who have been doing the job you want to take for longer. They're not necessarily better photographers, but why should some one get rid of their current photog for you? Sometimes when you show them images that are clearly superior, they'll still favor their regular shooters. With jobs like these you need a strong portfolio and good marketing skills; you're dealing with other professionals and not people working on a shoe string budget. Wait, I need to rephrase that, you're working with professionals that are use to a quality product or service and not a young couple that doesn't see the value in photography until it's too late. ****, wrong again. You're working with people that want to best quality for as little as possible and that knows what quality looks like vs. people who don't have a lot of experience with professional photographers.

Did I get it right that time?

I shoot a T1i and I'm a combat photographer for the Space Shuttle Atlantis. I would show you some of my pictures, but they're highly classified.

:D

Hmm you must be on the X-37 program........

I am an engineer and occasionally use my photographic skills for work whenever someone needs a decent shot of something. Usually for technical papers, publications, or presentations. Lots of macro work. Its amazing what you can see with a 1:1 macro and a brittle fracture; beach marks, striations, point of failure, crack propogation speed, crystal structure based on crack orientation, original defect location and size, plastic deformation, failure energy level, fatigue vs blunt force (I'm a nerd). Not very difficult since most people try with the office point and shoot first....

For fun I shoot landscapes but yes, seems to be a hard market to get into. I would throw my camera off a cliff before doing a wedding.

EDIT: ha. Apparently I already posted in here and didn't realize this was an old thread. Oh well.

I don't shoot weddings as of now, but that is one of the things I am wanting to get involved in. I am A fashion/ Talent/ Beauty Photographer.

I'll never make any money with this hobby ... I wont' shoot the two things that bring in the bucks ....

Weddings: - I've seen "Bridzillas" - need I say more ? - Besides, a beautiful picture is so subjective, I can expect to see myself in Court just because the 300 pound Bride didn't like the picture because she looked fat....

Children: - I dont like children. Stinkey, dirty little things.... My wife was watching a couple last week and I walked past them (rapidly) and one asked me if they could go out and play... I don't interact with them when I'm sober, but I
did say ... 'No - it's raining".... He asked why it was raining.... I said "Because God is crying" ...... yup, he had to ask... "Why's God crying?" - - had to nip this in the bud.... I said, " I dont know, but it was probably because
of something that YOU did"... My wife asked me why this kid was crying.....

What sounds more peaceful ..... Getting some sticky little 3 year old to sit still on a stool, or taking a picture of a stand of Quakies in the fall, just as the sun creates a golden glow over the foliage....?

No money - but happy.....

r

I shot my friend Diane being a hookuh using my cell phone cam during our motorcycle ride. Street sign as proof
bigthumb.gif

dianehookersgap.jpg

Most reactions

Back