What do people think of the the "Lightscoop"

Ked1986

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm having a tough time with lighting but since I just layed out so much for my camera I was trying to hold off on an accessory flash...has anyone had any experience with the lightscoop?

light scoop digital photography pop-up flash Olympus Nikon Fuji Canon Pentax

It's a little mirror that clips to the flash that redirects it to the ceiling or wall...

Does this thing really work?

Will my internal flash be strong enough to make it worth it? Or should I just save the $30 and put it towards a good flash?

If that's the case-can anyone recommend an economical flash for a Canon EOS Rebel Xsi that will do that job? Thanks guys!

I think mostly it is a waste of money. Bouncing a flash is great, but we know that requires more flash power. The built-in flash simply doesn't have that power. I mean if your subject is close (say within 5 feet to the camera), and you have a white ceiling, and you are willing to crank the ISO up to say 800, I think it will produce better flash pictures than with the built-in flash direct. Mostly I think it is a gimmick.

I would get a 430 EXii for your Rebel.

lol. I just recommended this in your other post.

I have one and it is NOT a waste of money. It works VERY well and is a great alternative to an off camera flash - especially since you can get them from adorama for $20. Ive never had my ISO over 400 and it works very well - of couse I do portraiture work so I tend to be close to my subjects.

It looks pretty good to me!
N.gif

Is the pop-up flash really strong enough to bounce off the ceiling and onto the subject in a poor lit area?

I looked at the Flickr group for the Lightscoop--and there are a lot of decent photos made with the device! It works great on close-ups and short-range shots. In places where ceilings are of normal to low-ceiling height (not 16 foot vaulted ceilings for example), when used as directed, the Lightscoop seems to produce well-lighted shots. The first step in the instructions is to set the ISO to 800; using ISO 800 as the starting point for all flash shots brings with it a *huge* increase in effective flash power and flash range.

Today's better d-slrs have excellent ISO 800 image capabilities, and so, yeah, a device like the Lightscoop when used in "normal" interior locations is going to produce results that are good enough for American Photographer magazine to give it one of three Editor's Choice Awards for the lighting category in the 2008 publication year. That alone is a pretty good endorsement. Compared to the results from a straight-ahead pop-up flash, the Lightscoop is bringing bounce flash capabilities to people who do not have or do not want to mount a big-a$$ speedlight on their camera. I think the device makes a lot of sense. It's fashionable among a certain subset here to rail about moving the flash off the camera, and to set up a Strobist-like setup with one or two or three radio-controlled remote flashes, with umbrellas on light stands,etc,etc. THose people love to bash bounce flash and call it crap lighting,etc etc. They'll tell you this product sucks. Again...American Photo magazine, Editor's Choice Award, Lighting category, 2008. That says a lot.

I've never used it, but if it costs $20 and improves your photos noticeably as they describe in the ads, I'd say that's $20 well spent. I'm looking to buy a flash soon, but if I weren't, I'd probably be looking to get one of these things.

I have one and it does make a noticeable difference but like was said before you have to have low ceilings. You can bounce it off a side wall also which gives a nice effect. It was money well spent until I got a 430 EX II now I don't use it very often.

Thanks for all your suggestions--I'm still not sure what I want to do!!

Give this a try... Party Bouncer This is a simple DIY business card flash bouncer.

I played around with this for a while before I picked up a speedlight. I was using 3x5 index cards cut down. You can get 100 for $1 and knock yourself out. This is a good trick to have up your sleeve...One day you might just need it!

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what the Lightscoop is capable of and if it will work for you until you get a speedlight.

Oh yeah...check out my avatar...I have one on my camera there. I was testing to see how much light gets though the card.

Have fun!

Is the pop-up flash really strong enough to bounce off the ceiling and onto the subject in a poor lit area?
You can adjust your flash in camera. I do +2 to the flash power, set ISO at 400 and Aperture between 2-4 depending on what Im shooting.

i second the use of a home made reflector/diffuser. i've been taping paper, cut white bristol board, and even made my own diffuser out of a translucent film canister (google for instructions... it worked decently) until i got my sb-600. i guess, as long as you're not expecting to get the results of the light scoop, then you'll be fine with what you got. :p save that $20 for a flash and use paper/old film canisters/white cards/wax paper/foil/card boxes/cigarette cartons... w/e you have in your house. :]

.... save that $20 for a flash and use paper/old film canisters/white cards/wax paper/foil/card boxes/cigarette cartons... w/e you have in your house. :]
Agreed. I too used all sorts of "whatever is close by" to redirect the onboard flash before purchasing external flash units.

^^ All that stuff is great when you're shooting random stuff but I couldn't imagine going into a persons house to do a session with foil and a cigarette box as a bounce light. They already look at me odd when I bring my backdrop stand made out of PVC pipes. lol

^^ All that stuff is great when you're shooting random stuff but I couldn't imagine going into a persons house to do a session with foil and a cigarette box as a bounce light. They already look at me odd when I bring my backdrop stand made out of PVC pipes. lol
I couldn't imagine going to a client for a shoot with just the pop-up flash for lighting.

Of course these DIY suggestions are for non-essential types of shoots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back