What do you back up your pics to in the field?

Insp Gadget

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.soulmatesphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just looking for some advice on backing up pics in the field. I have been looking at the Hyperdrive HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA (500GB version) as a backup option and the wife has suggested buying a Netbook computer to back things up to.

What are YOU using to back up your pics in the field?

Thanks for the input!

Used to use my trusy macbook pro. Since ive started using extreme 3 cards i dont bother

i back up to 2 different external drives.. raided and daisy chained together..

We backup to 2 different hard drives, one instudio, one off site, also burn to dvd, copies off site too.
Never trust 'just' a computer or laptop backup, you never know when you will get hit with a virus, or security web breach. Specially if you are using your work computer to connect to the internet to ftp to your company/business websites. (more for PC users).
It is also always best advised to have a copy of your backups off site, incase of theft, fire, water etc damage.
You can never be to safe!

In the field, Hyperdrives are great, laptop works too.

I use a laptop but have been meaning to pickup a netbook. Better than a baby portable hard drive thing as it has some more features and costs about the same (or less) as many with screens on them.

I don't. I leave them on the memory card until I'm not in the field...

Same here. I take as many cards as needed for the shoot or event and them some. Several 8 gig cards is what I use. I couldn't imagine adding a laptop to my gear bag....

Just carry a laptop and an extra memory card. That way, if my laptop goes, I have the photos on the memory card. If the memory card goes, I have my photos on the laptop. Carrying around external HDs in the field seems like a waste of time and energy. There are easier ways to get at the same end goal. Especially if your time in the field is more than a week.

I currently just leave them on the card(s) until I am out of the field. I carry approx 30g worth of cards, in various sizes, shapes and colours.

I am looking into a netbook as well. I'll probably keep them on the cards AND back them up on the netbook.

I haven't done anything for in the field back ups yet. But the Netbook idea is good, Inexpensive and small. Plus you could add a portable external HD too. And with HDs moving to Solid State, that extremely lowers HD failure potential. You can drop those and not lose the data. My day job is in the IT world, sorry for the plug.

Makes me wonder... what do people with film do for backups in the field? :lol:

Is this really an issue?

Just looking for some advice on backing up pics in the field. I have been looking at the Hyperdrive HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA (500GB version) as a backup option and the wife has suggested buying a Netbook computer to back things up to.

Thanks for the input!
When I'm shooting things that require back-ups, I use my 1D. It shoot to two cards. I usually have it configured to shoot RAW to both cards, mirroring the images. Sometimes I shoot RAW to one card and JPEG to another. One instance where I shoot RAW to one and JPEG to another is when I'm shooting races. The people selling my shots at the track to the drivers and fans want the images in JPEG format and pretty much use them straight out of camera (lots of pressure to nail the exposure!). But I always keep my shots for my own archives in RAW format.

I don't carry around a laptop in the field. In my experience, unless you have a "toughbook" computer, they are far more frail than the memory cards. A memory card is really pretty durable.

Most reactions

Back