What do you call yourself and why?

mooney101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just curious as to what you call your photography business and why? Example John Smith Photography or John's Portraits etc....

The reason I ask is some photographers get all fancy with their name (for example "Glamor studios") and some just use their name and the word photography. Be interesting to hear why...

My business name is top secret. ;) But on my business cards I call myself an "Electronic Sculptor". But that covers everything from CG, video, game design, illustration, technical writing and page layout, etc. etc.

Captured Visions Photography

Because I was running out of ideas and the ones that I did want, the domain names were already taken.

My Business name is Travelling Photographers. Because we travel a hell of a lot around town shooting real estate... and now portraits. I'm keeping the economy going with how much fuel I buy.

sam perry photography... because it is just so uber creative.

FlipSide Studio because it's relatively unique and it captures my sense of photography being two sided (what you see, and what you create)

In the process of incorporating and trademarking....so I'll get back to you.

Kanikula Photography :)

Its different, catchy and everyone seems to love it :D

Just plain and factual - describes what I do...
"JOE'S PHOTO'S"
I changed it just after joining TPF from "EVERLASTING VISUALISTIC EFFIGIES, REPRODUCTIONS AND TOUCH-UPS OF YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES" cos it looked a bit snobbish... Y'know - over the top...
Anyway the old name was too long to fit on one line of the tax form - and the tax people thought I had 2 businesses...
EVERLASTING VISUALISTIC EFFIGIES
and
REPRODUCTIONS AND TOUCH-UPS OF YOUR LOVED ONES
One point they wrote to me and asked me the nature of my business with REPRODUCTIONS AND TOUCH-UPS OF YOUR LOVED ONES - Y'know, like, exactly what is your occupation here..??
When I wrote back "Reproduction and touching-up, cloning, layering, masking, feathering, and rasterising - mostly people, but sometimes cats dogs and budgies" they sent the local constabulary round...
Well, thankfully he wasn't too bright and didn't find my stash of dirty jokes I've been collecting from the TPF board -
Subscribers Forum
Private forum for those who have purchased a subscription to TPF.
- otherwise I might've been carted off to the lock-up...
Anyway - yeah... "JOE'S PHOTO'S"...
(Aesthetically - I think it's the juxtaposition of the apostrophes that catches people's eyes...)
Jedo

Joe's Photo's?

I hate to be nitpicky, but I'd remove the apostrophe from photo's if I were you; it screams of amateurism, given that it's grammatically wrong, whether it looks aesthetically pleasing or not.

I certainly wouldn't use such a company.

And please don't take this as a personal bash — I don't intend it to be. I just can't stand grammatical errors making their way into final names/signs/advertising etc.

I use Matt Needham Photography. I figure it's simple, gets to the point, and won't need to be changed if 10 years from now I'm offering different photo services than today. It works for my wedding photography as well as selling my personal work. Besides I tried to come up with something cool, but always tired of my ideas within a day or two. :) Almost all my ideas were inside jokes that only a photo geek would get.

I also think it's important to think about how the name is going to sound with ".com" after it. TheFstopsHereStudios.com doesn't roll off the tongue quiet as easily as mattneedham.com. If they can remember my name they can find my website. Domain name availability is also important. You don't want to name your business, and then find out you can't get the domain name. Rats! www.awesomephotographer.com is already taken!

But on my business cards I call myself an "Electronic Sculptor".

I like that. Recently I've begun insisting that I am not a photographer, but rather a photographic artist (pronounced ar-teest of course ;) ). This started tongue in cheek, but as I more often I find so called "real photographers" with all sorts of rules and limitations as to what photography is and can be, I'm starting to actually believe it.

"Recently I've begun insisting that I am not a photographer, but rather a photographic artist"

Ahhhhh, yes....and thus my screen name (I'm not a pro)!! ;O)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back