what do you charge?

at the monent i can get 16' 18 proper photos , not just cheep prints, done for £5, and charge 20 quid for them.

if a person wants a photoshoot of there car done, i charge £20 for my time be that 20 minutes or 5 hours, as its only a side line and its advancing me in photography, esp car photography, as thats what im very much intrested in, i think its a fair price, if not a little cheap

geoffe said:
I have heard a lot from fellow professors to not sell your work cheap. As a soon to be graduate student of photography, I sell my prints in the $200-$400 range. I have no problem selling them but here is one thing to consider: If a customer is buying your work, psychology tells us that if they pay more for it they think they are getting better art. Well not better but they feel as though they have made an investment. If I sold prints for $10 I would fear that the work would not be treasured and might end up in the trash. Besides, if a customer wants cheap art they can always go to WalMart.

+2

Something else to keep in mind is that you need to value your work just as highly too. I also think if you're going to sell it for that price you need to make it look as professional as possible. Frame, matte, signature, etc. Exciting stuff. If your work is good enough that people want to buy it, take some pride in it.

I agree with most people in here that the price of a work depends on various factors, mainly: who is the interested buyer, size, and medium. Obviously if you are selling a work with mat and frame your price should be much higher than if it were the print alone. Generally speaking, if you are respresenting yourself as an artist when selling your work, no buyer is going to expect to pay $10 for a decent size print....people know that art is expensive and anyways people who are interested in art dont mind spending large amounts of money. I know many people without a passion for art that buy art even from students for thousands of dollars....just because it's art they are getting and it looks nice in their house.

http://www.ellasfoto.com

Tyson said:
...I use remote control aircraft to take low level photos.

Fascinating! Have you posted any of those here?

As for pricing, my first thought is you're providing something that nobody can. A magazine is probably used to buying some stock images... likely a BUNCH of stock images, and may be paying anywhere from $75 - $300/image depending on where it appears, how large it appears and their circulation. The price of stock photography is ALWAYS negotiable.

I think if you create a custom image... just for them... and it takes you half a day to get it done, you should be able to get AT LEAST $600... maybe more if they really need the image.

Pete

For me, selling prints locally is very tough and sometimes discouraging.
You need to understand your targeted audience and where I live there arent many people who are willing to spend alot on random art.
I've noticed that my pictures definatley need to trigger something in the viewer in order for them to consider buying it.

I also asked a local business owner (flower store owner that sells lots of artsy fartsy nick nacks) what she thinks I should price my stuff at.
Our price ranges were pretty much dead on.

I have heard a lot from fellow professors to not sell your work cheap. As a soon to be graduate student of photography, I sell my prints in the $200-$400 range. I have no problem selling them but here is one thing to consider: If a customer is buying your work, psychology tells us that if they pay more for it they think they are getting better art. Well not better but they feel as though they have made an investment. If I sold prints for $10 I would fear that the work would not be treasured and might end up in the trash. Besides, if a customer wants cheap art they can always go to WalMart.
this is so true, but still you cAnt overprice

If I'm selling a photograph of my personal work to a person to hang on their wall at home it's $25 for a 10"x10" or smaller print, $55 for a 15x15, $100 for a 20x20, $150 for a 25x25. These are lab prints; high quality but pretty cheap for me. Matting and framing is extra. I prefer to sell prints in a mat, because I feel they are more likely to be framed than a loose print. These are unlimited edition photographs. I feel happy if someone considers one of my 8x10s to be worth about the same as a nice CD/DVD set or mid-priced art book. I would be taking and enjoying the photos whether they sold or not.

I charge more for my hand printed gelatin silver prints; approximately $75 for an 8x10 or smaller print with no mat and no frame. They aren't limited edition intentionally, but realistically I rarely ever print more than 25 or 30 prints in one or two sizes. It takes more time, effort, and materials expense, and traditional process BW prints aren't as common these days.

I charge significantly more for commercial or public use of a photograph. How much depends on where, how much, how long, etc... To purchase the copyright to a photo from my personal work would be $3000+ depending on which photo. I wouldn't say that any of my photos are priceless, but there are plenty where I'd place the price tag outrageously high because I really wouldn't want to sell the rights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back