What do you do for a living?

ted_smith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I sit at my desk here in the UK as a civil servant (digital forensics investigator for Criminal Investigation unit) and dream of spending my days earning a living as a photographer. I expect there's no greater feeling than someone paying you for a picture(s) you've taken.

It made me wonder - what do the rest of you do for a living and how come you've never turned pro? Or are you semi-pro, and if so, to what degree is your working life photography over your other proffession?

Ted

Well, I am doing science/research ... physics and chemistry ;)

at some point I did think of trying to become a pro, but then i thought that would be way to insecure for a living (well, found out that it is the same with science ;) ).. and also if I was a pro I would have to shoot what other people and the market demands and not what I want to ...

my work life is no photography, but my work gets me to many places where it is worth taking some pictures :)

naval communicator in the canadian navy... tyring to make it as a cinematographer\photographer. I use all my spare time working on short films and my photography. I got a film accepted to 2 film festivals for the first time last month.

I work as an aircraft inspector for a charter airline. I travel more than I am at home. Litterally been around the world.

I was a pro / semipro in college. Worked for several papers and did freelance work for parents that wanted pics of their college students playing sports. For the life of me I don't know why I did not put 2 and 2 together. I made very very good money doing the freelance stuff (people came to me I didn't even advertize, more work than I could handle with school too). And just I dropped it when I left college. Guess I had my mind set on what I went to school for. Even though photography was my favorite thing to do since I was 6. Just never thoght of being a full timer. Really didn't know any other than for photo journalists. And honnestly I didn't like that. I was fairly good at it. Just didn't like the mundane assignements. Biggest credit was a picture of President Clinton that I took made it front page. But the parents and kids sports pics, paid much more than a front page shot. Towards the end of college I even had it down to I just took the pics and gave them the film. For the same price as when I provided prints. And I was still too busy. Again why I didn't see the picture and keep doing it. I really don't know. :(

I'm a Certified Engineering Technologist. I'm head of the design & drafting department for a company that deals with industrial fabric products and portable shelters. Most of the design work I do is for the oil field industry. Oil & gas is booming and my area (Alberta) is going crazy...I even got to go around the world, to Kazakhstan, to design some shelters for some drilling rigs over there.

I'm working on becoming a semi-pro photographer. I'm taking classes and acquiring equipment to shoot portraits and weddings. If & when it takes off...I'm not sure if I will give up my day job. I'm afraid that if photography becomes my main source of income...I might lose my passion for it.

I am an Accounts Manager for a Security Company. I take care of all aspects of residential/commercial security systems. Well, everything BUT installing them....heheheh!!!! Unfortunatly I don't get to travel the world but I do get taken out to lunch once in awhile. :)

I am a federal police officer, I work for the Dept. of Veterans Affairs and have never given much thought to turning "pro"--whatever, outside of being paid--that really means; I derive a great deal of satisfaction behind the lens, it feeds my creative hungers, much the same way composing fiction does. I have been giving a great deal of thought to fusing the two pursuits and crafting a photoessay.

I'm at university in the UK doing a BA (Hons) Photography degree. So hopefully after I graduate I can turn pro. I can't wait.

Emergency services mental health clinician here. looking for a change though and am doing some paid photo work on the side. Certainly nothing to pay the bills right now. maybe in the future. Like others have said, I'm not sure I could stand the uncertainty of not knowing what kind of $ I'd be making each day/week/year and have found that I have much less enthusiasm and motivation shooting other people for cash as opposed to shooting stuff I want.

I do photography and pre press production for the newspaper. Also have my own freelance Photo biz. At this point the only reason that I do prepress is because no one else can. Anyway. I have been in photography for 19+ years. Everything from student (S.V.A!!!) to running my own business.

Photography takes a strong commitment. With all due respect; just do it. There were many times when I needed the Graphic Arts to support my measly assisting gig. Point is that I am always in photography. Getting paid to take photos is a romantic way of putting it. Guaranteed there will be times that you will cringe at the sight of a camera. Photography is a job and it can suck. You will easily overcome that part if you truly truly love it. I do.

And no rant is complete with out the obligatory photography is a tough racket, but it pays well.

I am techincally a student and a photo lab worker. My day job is for a local camera shop where we do your usual printing as well as commerical and larger size printing without sending it out. (www.imagegallery.cc) If I'm not there, I am usually in school (3 more semesters after this one). And the rest of the time, I am trying to get more photo shoots, more jobs, etc. Otherwise, I am a full time mom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back