What do you do to your pics in photoshop?

cpimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a beginner level photographer (recently purchased a fuji s5100) and probably still a beginner in photoshop too. When I want to do some basic editing to a pic I:
Try autocolor (undo it if i dont like it)
Mess with brightness/contrast
Try the Unsharp mask
Crop if needed

and on occasion I'll:
mess with color balance
convert to b/w

Thats all i really know how to do, what are the basic tools you guys use often?

I'm fairly new to PS as well, but the two tools that I seem to use more than others seem to be "levels" and "curves." White balance, color and exposure are probably what I play with the most, and I use levels and curves to do that. This is mostly when I shoot with my P&S digital since exposure control is not the best.

Otherwise, like Artemise, I use PS to help evening out blemishes on skin and get rid of red eye.

Artemis: What do you mean by dodge- As in use the dodge tool? I just played with it for a sec and it just seems to make things lighter?

That curves thing is pretty sweet, glad i learned about that one. Anybody else have some input?

LEVELS! I use the levels tool on every single photo (probably just a sign of my crap camera).
I mainly use the contrast control, burn, blur, sharpen and also a fair bit in the liquify filter when doing people photos. - It's the easiest way to lose a few kilos, fix that nose etc! I also use a fair few different blending modes to give different effects.
It's so hard just to name a few things. I use so many different tools all the time.

EDIT: I forgot the clone tool, the patch tool <- my favourite!, the healing brush! I think these tools are some of the hardest to learn how to use and to get your head around - but they are the best tools for editing IMO.

Channel Mixer
Brightness/Contrast
Shadow/Highlight
Hue/Saturation
Curves
Stamp
...in no particular order and on an if needed basis.

And finally the Unsharp Mark.

I shoot RAW, so I play with the levers in the RAW developer in Photoshop CS prior to the above formalities. :)

Regards,
D

The first thing I do to every photo is add first, a levels layer, next a hur/saturation layer, and thirdly a brightness/contrast layer. I don't always end up making changes to all three but I always experiment a bit with the levels, hue/contrast, and brightness/contrast, before I settle in on how I want the image to look.

After that try adding color filters, burn/dodge, blurs, yada yada, possibilities are endless.

depends. i use curves and levels alot as well. after those i do color balance or channel mixer if i need to, then some dodging and burning maybe after that. if i'm too lazy to dodge and burn i'll just change the brightness/contrast settings.

Most reactions

Back