What do you do when?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Emerana, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What do you do when you are trying to shoot children and they aren't even a tiny bit interested in being photographed?

2. bellacat

bellacat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    sometimes it just takes awhile for kids to warm up. I have trouble even with my own kids and are now boycotting the whole thing. I will often try to play with little ones and get the to interact with me before i start photography them. Sometimes if they can start telling me a story or talking about something they like it helps them to relax.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get their favorite toy and hold it by the camera or put it on your head (I've done that more than once...gets a bigger smile out of the parents though :er: )

I'm planning on getting a hat that either lights up or moves around etc. Just something to get their attention.

If the parents are not in the shot...have then stand behind you. Kids will often look at their parents...especially when there is a stranger pointing a camera at them.

4. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Absolutely. Especially in the studio. If you think about it, there's another place where kids are put on a table and folks shine lights on them, everyone totally focused on the kid. Young ones see how similar this is to a visit to the doctor. It can put a child on guard. Go slow. Chat and play a while before going to the camera.

Much depends on the age and personality of each child. My "go-to" trick when things bog down is to mess up somehow. It really doesn't matter what it is. I'll pretend to pose a toy (anything, really... I've used a roll of film in a pinch) just outside of view. When I turn to go back to the camera, I make sure the toy falls. When I get to the camera, I turn to see I blew it, act exasperated, and repeat the process. Kids LOVE to see adults mess up. They WILL laugh at you. It works 99+% of the time. Just make sure the kids knows you don't suspect they caused it.

Kids have bad days, just like the rest of us. Sometimes you have to reschedule.

-Pete

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    let em play! a lot of the time the best shots Ive gotten are candid shots. My daughter didnt want to do what I wanted to do at the beach. so I let her play. Have mom or dad bring a fav toy, or book. sing a song. Just let them do what they do best. PLAY