What Do You Do With Your Creations

When we had a house, ( sold it 2007 and travel in Rv) I had some up on the walls but a lot in photo albums.
Now, just stored on hard drives mostly. My volunteer job has enlarged 25 photos and exhibited them in frames in the museum to go a long with a theme of the year.

Free popcorn too?
Oh heavens no. There was a standard protocol in those days. Drinks, men folk in the living room, women folk in the kitchen. Then came dinner, usually something like meatloaf, salad, potatoes and a vegetable. This was followed by coffee which was the time for the man of the house to pull out the projector and screen. This was immediately followed by the vacation slides. They held you hostage by saving desert for after the slide show. It was a ritual that could not be tampered with.

When we had a house, ( sold it 2007 and travel in Rv) I had some up on the walls but a lot in photo albums.
Now, just stored on hard drives mostly. My volunteer job has enlarged 25 photos and exhibited them in frames in the museum to go a long with a theme of the year.
Forgot to tell you, when we meet up next week I will bring my projector and 12 cases of slides. :biggrin-93:

Lots of external harddrives. Some nights I run a slideshow on my laptop connected to a projector that projects the images onto the side of my house for all the world to see

Free popcorn too?
Oh heavens no. There was a standard protocol in those days. Drinks, men folk in the living room, women folk in the kitchen. Then came dinner, usually something like meatloaf, salad, potatoes and a vegetable. This was followed by coffee which was the time for the man of the house to pull out the projector and screen. This was immediately followed by the vacation slides. They held you hostage by saving desert for after the slide show. It was a ritual that could not be tampered with.

I was actually talking to MSnowy when he shows his work outside on his house :)
BUT! I remember the old Bell and Howell and I used to splice film on the old family 8 mm projector :)

Lots of external harddrives. Some nights I run a slideshow on my laptop connected to a projector that projects the images onto the side of my house for all the world to see

Free popcorn too?

I was actually talking to MSnowy when he shows his work outside on his house :)
BUT! I remember the old Bell and Howell and I used to splice film on the old family 8 mm projector :)
Funny you say that, when cleaning out moms house a few weeks ago I came across the old Bell & Howell, 8mm camera, projector, all our old movies, along with an 8 mm Hop along Casidy movie the folks bought. I also found the splicer. Too funny. I'll bring those too.

I knew who the comment was directed at but there is a long time honored protocall here. You must not cause a disturbance in the force.

I post them online in attempt for others to like them as much as i do.

Yeah, I share my pictures like crazy. FB, Insta, Twitter, 500px, here (sometimes). Interestingly, for me, the joy of photography is in the capture, not necessarily the finished product, aside from the fact that it's an artifact of the concept I collected. Like all my animal eyeballs. I captured them, I have a collection of animal eyeballs in photos. It's a quest to get them, and a challenge to always get better ones of what I already have.

Reminds me of my dad with the video camera, he'd tell us to stand somewhere, start running the camera then say go, then we'd start walking... so in home movies we start out just standing there like a bunch of goofballs! lol Thankfully only family ever saw them.

I have photos and negs in albums and in sleeves in storage boxes, and now print usually some 4x6s from any series of photos I've been out shooting, and 8x10s of anything significant. Now if I ever get caught up on putting those in albums... good project for winter. I save the media cards, I don't fill them that fast and they hold so many I only have a few, and have anything digital and some scans on an external hard drive. I try to organize as I go.

I'm pretty selective about what I post online and where, because - I look at Terms & Conditions... not that I read it all, usually just skimming through is enough to find a deal breaker most of the time.

And I have film in the fridge, that's what those produce drawers are really for aren't they?? lol

I print them at large sizes on canvass, hand stretch them and build custom frames for them. I design and make blades for my moulding cutter with unique profiles and then add hand carving, gilding, plaster work and paints to create one of a kind moldings from which I build the frames and sell them in a gallery and in shows, exhibitions and fairs, etc. I even make my own canvass stretcher boards, sometimes from exotic woods and sometimes from ordinary common woods depending on the clientele that will be seeing and buying it. Using this method I can create artworks that have the appearance of being hundreds of years old or that look ultra modern. It's great fun really. Adding brush strokes in clear varnishes can give them the look of paintings if the customers wants that.
I have also done some wall sized murals on several rolls of papers that are then applied like wallpaper.
While most of what I make is sold before it's made as consignment works, I also make things that are just easily sold and always popular and have a small stock of those to add for displays, demos of what people can order and quick sales based on the type of show it will be in.

Interestingly, for me, the joy of photography is in the capture, not necessarily the finished product

In some cases I can agree with this. However I have photos that may not make the cut for prints, but still have redeeming qualities, that I wouldn't mind seeing again without sorting through multiple layers of files. I need to explore the options for tagging, sorting and slideshows in LR and Bridge, as a way to feed to the smart TV through the wireless network drive, or casting from my laptop.

Reminds me of my dad with the video camera, he'd tell us to stand somewhere, start running the camera then say go, then we'd start walking... so in home movies we start out just standing there like a bunch of goofballs! lol Thankfully only family ever saw them.

I have photos and negs in albums and in sleeves in storage boxes, and now print usually some 4x6s from any series of photos I've been out shooting, and 8x10s of anything significant. Now if I ever get caught up on putting those in albums... good project for winter. I save the media cards, I don't fill them that fast and they hold so many I only have a few, and have anything digital and some scans on an external hard drive. I try to organize as I go.

I'm pretty selective about what I post online and where, because - I look at Terms & Conditions... not that I read it all, usually just skimming through is enough to find a deal breaker most of the time.

And I have film in the fridge, that's what those produce drawers are really for aren't they?? lol
Man does that bring back memories. Did your dad envision himself as another Cecil B. Demille? Mine sure did. :lol: All he needed was the jodhpurs, riding crop and megaphone.
Filming-Clapperboard-82162.gif

Storage is cheap and the way I have my Lightroom setup, its like a photo database system. All my photos are tagged and can easily be searched for so if for some reason I need a picture of a particular thing I can just search for it in Lightroom. A good example is if I'm writing a blog post and I need a photo of an apple, I can just search apple and boom and I can filter by the ratings I've set. It's an awesome system.

If you have a one in a lifetime photo where image quality is crap, keep it because technology later on in the future could actually make the image better.

Also I keep photos which I think could be great to look back on years from now. Just like how people kept old film and prints in a shoe box.

You just never know what a photo could be used for after you've taken it.

Man does that bring back memories. Did your dad envision himself as another Cecil B. Demille? Mine sure did. :lol: All he needed was the jodhpurs, riding crop and megaphone.
Filming-Clapperboard-82162.gif

We could start a whole thread on 'the good old days of family home movies'. My dad says I got the photo bug gene from him. But with 8 kids he never had anything but the movie camera and Kodak camera to use.
Since he was tall, whenever my mom took the movies, you can see my dad raising his hand, ' like pan up to get my head ' :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back