What do you do with your gear at events?

jenco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm photographing my first (paid) wedding in a couple of weeks, and I'm getting nervous! I've only done friends and family weddings, so I could leave my stuff wherever I wanted. I don't have much, extra memory cards, an additional lense, flash, battery, and reflector. What do I do with all of this while I'm working? Do you carry it on you in a backpack?

Many thanks!

I use the shootsac

www.shootsac.com

i carry ALL my gear and i dont leave anything sitting down.

BUT i dont have light stands and lights..

All I have are 4 lens 2 bodies 2 flashes a monopod batteries, (LOTS) of batteries. I walk around just fine.

I use the shootsac

www.shootsac.com

i carry ALL my gear and i dont leave anything sitting down.

BUT i dont have light stands and lights..

All I have are 4 lens 2 bodies 2 flashes a monopod batteries, (LOTS) of batteries. I walk around just fine.

That is one beautiful sac! My birthday can't come soon enough! Thanks for sharing.

Where do you keep your 2nd camera? You do have a 2nd camera, don't you?

I usually have a couple of camera bags and I leave them where I can get to them, without being in the way. Usually that means somewhere up near the front of the church, off to the side.

When shooting the formals in a busy public place, I usually pick someone (family or guest) and ask them to keep an eye on my gear for me.

When at the church I pretty much trust the general public to not steal my gear. When shooting formals I usually don't carry enough that I have to be worried about. If you carry that much gear you either need an assistant or you need to pare down as it will be very hard to keep up with the wedding party while carrying all kinds of gear unless you have help. When I am at the reception I usually like to set my things up around the DJ you will probably be working with him alot throughoutt the night so it is a good base of operations and people will probably look at your gear as part of his/hers and think they are watching it.

I'm a guy...not sure I can pull off the Shootsac (Purse) or manbag.

I'm a guy...not sure I can pull off the Shootsac (Purse) or manbag.

lol...manbag.

Yea, I looked at that, and unless I'm missing something, I wasn't too impressed. It just looked like a big purse. From what it sounded like, there was padded compartments, but it's hard to really get a feel for the functionality without seeing photos of the inside of the bag.

It looks like they're going more for "style" than functionality. I don't think I'd want a bag hanging over my shoulder like that while I'm trying to shoot. I could just picture it slipping down over my shoulder and pulling on my arm just as I'm steadying a shot.

Its a paid job ... not a fashion statement.

Personally.. if you want something in between (function and good looking).. go with Billingham or Domke.

Get a big shoulder bag (Lowepro or Tamrac) (or two bags) or have an assistant. Don't leave equipment laying around to get stolen or tripped over. Backpacks are VERY inconvenient in those situations.

You do have a 2nd backup camera don't yah?

I have used a Canon shoulder bag and it's not that convenient, so I'm looking for a backpack. I shot backup at a wedding and the main photographer used a backpack and it worked well.

I couldn't use a backpack at a wedding....well, I bring one but I couldn't wear it while shooting.

I've been considering a photo/fishing vest and maybe a belt system like THIS

Just a question, why do you need a second camera?

I have used a Canon shoulder bag and it's not that convenient, so I'm looking for a backpack. I shot backup at a wedding and the main photographer used a backpack and it worked well.

I heard about this backpack, the Rotation 360; it looks pretty neat, I'm thinking about getting it:

http://www.rotation360.com/

Click on "Features" and go through the product shots.

Just a question, why do you need a second camera?
A wedding is a once in a life time event and they usually have a pretty tight schedule. If your camera stops working, you can't just say sorry...or run to the store and get another one. If you are the one responsible for photographing someone's wedding...it would be irresponsible not to have a backup.

Why do you think passenger jets have co-pilots?
Why do cars have a spare tire?

I really can't be as encumbered as your bag suggests Mike that would be too much to be saddled with. Honestly I think you just need to be properly insured and go about your business. Over all the years I have shot weddings I have not been insured and have never had one problem mabye that's just Pittsburgh or mabye noone is in a stealing mood at a wedding. If you want a good suggestion for a system case for a good amount of gear at a wedding something like http://products.lowepro.com/product/Pro-Roller-3,1999,29.htm should fit the bill, it is mobile and carries alot of gear.

In all honesty, I have only one camera, and this is all I can afford right now!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back