What do you edit with?

hmm I appear to be the only Elements user so far!
Well I don't mind ;) still got enough to learn about using elements - so not ready for all that power - and besides its around the same cost as a wide angle lens - so provided I shoot in RAW I can always come back later and edit any great landscape shots I get ;)
*note no this does not mean that I have gone for the landscape lens - still on the fence about choosing from that thread ;)*

Nope, depending on the situation and the needs, Elements is the first one I use for anything involving levels, color correction or resizing. Small and it does what I need. Still have Elements 2 on my Win98 computer.

Irfanview for viewing and quick websize crops, it's doesn't need to be fancy or do anything technical. Auto color correction works on most photos, is really strange on others. Read the important word here. Website photos. :D

In order of what I'd click first not doing web edits.

Elements - minor adjustments, resizing, converting to TIFF, (unless I do batch processing with Irfanview, which is it's strong point for rename/resizing/file type change, in batches) cropping, quick test prints.

CS3 - major editing beyond the above.

Have Lightroom and learning it for location news edits.

I convert JPGs to TIFF, then edit, so the original photos are never changed. Lightroom does "developing" of RAW so originals are untouched. I choose to never save an edited original photo with the original file name.

IView free
Elements inexpensive
Lightroom slightly more for those who need it
CS3 is magic and worth the expense.

I don't use Gimp, but I should have and saved some money. Works well.

No one mentioned Autopano pro which I think is the neatest toy in the box if you are doing any merged photos or panoramas.

Last edited:
General image editing- Paint Shop Pro X2
Quick resizing, etc - Fastone Image Viewer
other misc stuff- Gimp

RD

RAW conversion in the Canon software (Digital Photo Professional)
Photomatix for HDRs
Corel Paint Shop Pro XI

The Corel product works okay. I'd like to get Photoshop but I've already exceeded my self-indulgence budget for the year.

i use photoshop V7.0

seems i'm the only one using just the 1 program....

Mainly I use CS3 with numerous plugins (Noise Ninja, AdobeRAW, etc), and Photomatix Pro for HDR.

Photoshop CS3, NeatImage, Photoshop Elements 5

I start out in Photo Mechanic, then if it's a large shoot I go into Lightroom, if it's small, I go to CS3. If I shot in jpeg and the images don't need further editing, then I save the picks/crops into a new folder and am done.

Using Photo Mechanic as my initial editor has saved me a phenomenal amount of time.

If I had a CaptureOne processing engine in my camera(s) I would never shoot RAW again. ;)

How do you like the new version of CaptureOne?

I like the improvements to the workflow and the overall look and feel. I wish they made improvements in the managing and organizing side of thing.

Most reactions

Back