What do you guys use?

Parago

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was trying to find out what tools you guys use for image sharpening?

I guess people using PS CS2 use Smart Sharpen, but since I'm stuck with CS right now, I was wondering what you would recommend.

Options I found are:

Focus Magic

Nic Sharpener Pro 2.0

Magic Sharpener

My issues are mainly minor camera shake; for example, I took Maternity pictures of a friend the other day and one of the pictures is absolutely beautiful light-wise but does show some blurriness in places, so I now I'm trying to find out what to go with without having to download all the trials and what not.

Thanks in advance.. ;)

Plain old unsharp mask works great. I don't see a need for anything else. If you have camera shake, it's best to remedy that before you take the image, rather than invest time and money trying to fix it afterwards. A noisy shot is far easier to fix than a shaky one.

Plain old unsharp mask works great. I don't see a need for anything else. If you have camera shake, it's best to remedy that before you take the image, rather than invest time and money trying to fix it afterwards. A noisy shot is far easier to fix than a shaky one.

Thanks Matt; yea, I am aware of the fact that camera shake is an absolute no-go for a successful photo shoot, however, every once in a while you come across an image that seems perfect in so many ways, yet somehow it seems a tiny little bit shaky. I'm not looking for a tool to magically fix all my dozens of shaky images (I'm not that bad you know..;) ) but like I said, every once in a while I would just love to have something to be able to fix it.

I'm gonna give it another whirl with unsharp mask and see how it turns out, worst case scenario is I have to apply some tacky-glowy-blurry thing which, in this case, would probably work anyways. :lol:

Anyway, thanks again Matt!

If I want to sharpen something that is blurry with the unsharp mask, I usually will just try and increase the local contrast. Try using settings like 25%, 15, 0, (conservative), up to %40, 20, 0. You'll never get that "tack sharp" look, but it will give the appearance of more sharpness, at least somewhat.

If I want to sharpen something that is blurry with the unsharp mask, I usually will just try and increase the local contrast. Try using settings like 25%, 15, 0, (conservative), up to %40, 20, 0. You'll never get that "tack sharp" look, but it will give the appearance of more sharpness, at least somewhat.

I tried that and you're right, sometimes this works, not with this particular image, tho. I ended up downloading the Focus Magic trial from Acclaim and the difference is amazing, I think. It's still somewhat blurred but I think I kinda used that to the image's advantage by enhancing exactly that. It's very 90's, I know, but nevertheless I think I saved the image, don't you think?

Here's the original:

jenn1.jpg

And here the final version:

Jenn_1_fild.jpg

It's really impossible to tell from a web sized image. If it works well for you, and you can justify the cost, then go for it. I know my limitations when it comes to shooting handeld, and I try not to get too many soft images. I go for noisy ones instead. The blurry ones get deleted. I know I can't shoot below 1/125 handheld from 50mm and longer, so I don't even try. That's just my limitation. I don't have a steady hand.

It's really impossible to tell from a web sized image. If it works well for you, and you can justify the cost, then go for it. I know my limitations when it comes to shooting handeld, and I try not to get too many soft images. I go for noisy ones instead. The blurry ones get deleted. I know I can't shoot below 1/125 handheld from 50mm and longer, so I don't even try. That's just my limitation. I don't have a steady hand.

I see what you're saying at it makes prefect sense. Looking at your pictures, I'm not surprised. Pictures that crisp and clean and sharp need absolute perfection, I understand that. (There's a hidden cmpliment somehwere in there btw ;) )

But yes, I think the plug-in will make sense for me, at least at this point.

I was definately amazed about the difference compared to what happened after > unsharp mask..

Thanks again Matt for your patience and time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back