what do you shoot in the winter if you don't like going out in the cold.

Anything food related.. However, I'm in Arizona and it's never too cold to go outside. :allteeth:

There's not much I can do in the winter months... My favorite subjects tend not to be around when it's cold outside... Subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis

I just get enough clothing so I wont freeze.

As long as there is no wind, thats actually pretty easy.

I think I have to get outside more often in the colder months. With severe emphysema, it's very difficult to breathe in cold weather, so moving around as little as I normally do to get my pictures is even more taxing. Maybe if I go outside more often I can "acclimate" and a picture session might not be so strenuous.

Last night I ordered a field coat from Cabela's. I have some thin gloves that have a grippy latex type stuff on the fingers. Then there's hats with fold-down ear muffs. I might also check out some flannel lined pants.

This will be my first winter (and we get real winters here in the Sierra-Nevadas) as an avid photographer. Well, I made pictures year-round back in the 80s, but at that time I lived in the SF Bay Area. I abandoned photography as an art for many years and am just this year getting back into it. It's a challenge.

Jim

I hate the cold. Let me repeat.... HATE IT. Anything under 50 F is too damn cold for me. I can't get warm doesn't matter how many clothes I put on. My torso might be warm but my face and hands freeze. I like the whole winter snow queen creative portrait idea, but haven't found a model willing to do it and I'm such a pansy. I need to force myself to go outside more, because I tend to ignore being uncomfortable when I'm behind the camera, and we can get some pretty winter landscapes around here.

My business is built on portraits, so my studio room gets a workout more in the winter. It's a love/hate thing for me. I have some cute backdrops and set ups for the kids I get in, but my first love is outdoors natural light portraiture. So it makes for a long winter, waiting for spring when I can get back outside.

Shot this 7 years ago when we had a major ice storm that knocked out power, downed trees, etc. This was a bush on the side of my house at the time. It was one of those rare days I forced myself outside.

I dont find 50o to be all that bad. when it drops below 40o is when I start to hate it. when it gets down in the 30's is when it starts to really suck lol. if I am gonna be out in that I need one of those face masks that makes you look like hanibal lecter, warm boots and a good pair of gloves haha.

I am trying to get a studio together. my buddy is gonna let me set it up in the basement of the bar he runs, there was a second bar in the basement at one time that is not being used now but the heat does not work well down there so i am not sure how that is going to work out.

I dont find 50o to be all that bad. when it drops below 40o is when I start to hate it. when it gets down in the 30's is when it starts to really suck lol. if I am gonna be out in that I need one of those face masks that makes you look like hanibal lecter, warm boots and a good pair of gloves haha.

I am trying to get a studio together. my buddy is gonna let me set it up in the basement of the bar he runs, there was a second bar in the basement at one time that is not being used now but the heat does not work well down there so i am not sure how that is going to work out.

I'll be Hannibal Lecter right along with you. I hate hate haaaaaaaaaaate it. I definitely need one of those ski masks, like 3 pairs of socks... so on :lol:

It's drafty in my studio room, so it's chilly in winter and hot in the summer. So I run a small space heater in there before clients show up in the winter, and run a fan if needed in the summer.

The room I would be using there is pretty large, I am not sure a space heater would cut it unless I set it up on a stool or something and hoped the head would reach my model. That is If I can find any models lol. I plan to shoot for free for a while to build up my portfolio and If I am lucky make a business out of it some day. only time will tell I guess.

I cant afford to rent a place all the time yet so Ill have to try and make this work.

I think I have to get outside more often in the colder months. With severe emphysema, it's very difficult to breathe in cold weather, so moving around as little as I normally do to get my pictures is even more taxing. Maybe if I go outside more often I can "acclimate" and a picture session might not be so strenuous.

Last night I ordered a field coat from Cabela's. I have some thin gloves that have a grippy latex type stuff on the fingers. Then there's hats with fold-down ear muffs. I might also check out some flannel lined pants.

This will be my first winter (and we get real winters here in the Sierra-Nevadas) as an avid photographer. Well, I made pictures year-round back in the 80s, but at that time I lived in the SF Bay Area. I abandoned photography as an art for many years and am just this year getting back into it. It's a challenge.

Jim
I swear by either thermax or a thermax/wool blend baselayer in winter. I used to work outside all winter, plus I spend a lot of time in the woods, camping with the Scouts and other outdoor activities and found the thermax base to be a life saver. Also wool socks and a thin thermax liner underneath. The thermax wicks the moisture off your skin which is a big cause of people feeling cold. People tend to overdress and sweat under their clothes which sucks the heat out of you. You need thin gloves to work the camera, but bring a heavier pair or mittens to keep your hands warm when you're not shooting. If it's really cold I have a pair of mittens that have a thin glove liner. You flip the mitten part back to expose your fingers in the glove. It also has a pocket for hand warmers if you need them.

What do I shoot? Boring old product shots, studio crap, etc.

I dont find 50o to be all that bad. when it drops below 40o is when I start to hate it. when it gets down in the 30's is when it starts to really suck lol.

Around where I live the 30's are pretty nice in the winter. Probably the worst day this year had a high of about -15F, strong winds to along with several feet of snow and drifting.

I had to walk 1/4 mile to take care of my landlords animals. They were in Cancun and I had a big drift in my driveway. I took my d7100 with 18-105mm VR II. It was cold enough that the autofocus on the lens wouldn't work after a while thankfully the manual focus still worked ;)

I work downtown Calgary and there is usually some interesting things to take pictures of in the walkways. Right now Christmas decorations are starting to pop up so I am taking pictures of those.

All this talk about keeping our bodies warm... what about our camera bodies and lenses? How do we keep them from harm? Condensation collecting on the inside of a camera or lens could be disastrous.

All this talk about keeping our bodies warm... what about our camera bodies and lenses? How do we keep them from harm? Condensation collecting on the inside of a camera or lens could be disastrous.

Water vapor gets stuck to cold objects and is repelled from warm objects ( same principle as your defrost setting in your car: it works better if it's warm).

So going out into the cold is not a huge problem in terms of condensation (there's not much water vapor in your camera ). However coming in from the cold can be problematic.

Usually it's best to put your camera in a camera bag before going into a warm environment and let it warm up in the bag. This restricts the amount of moisture in the ambient environment that can be drawn to it. A dry safe would also work, but unless you keep it at your door I'd still bag it first.

Most reactions

Back