What do you think about this?

ploy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was told about a competition that a site called www.myartspace.com is having for photographers. The jurors for the competition seem good including jurors from RISD, Sotheby's, and the National Portrait Gallery. The top prize of $2,000 and a feature in HotShoe International Magazine is also nice. However, I don't know much about this site and I've never entered an online art competition so I have some concerns. Have any of you entered their competitions in the past or online competitions in general? Is it worth entering? The fee does not look that bad considering that I can enter up to 20 images so that is just $1 per entry technically. It must be legit or else they would not have the jury pool that they have, right? I did read that they have had a group exhibit in the Chelsea district, NYC, for their members so they must have some good connections because that is a tight community to fit into. I'm just used to finding out about shoddy competitions on sites like www.deviantart.com to the point I'm wary of online competitions in general.

Here is a link to the details http://www.myartspace.com/hotshoe/

9. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS
Content, including but not limited to text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, or other material presented to you by CatMacArt Corporation may be protected by copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property rights and laws. You may use this material only as expressly authorized by CatMacArt Corporation, and may not copy, transmit, or create derivative works of such content or information without express written authorization.
CatMacArt Corporation does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post to the MSS. After posting your Content to the MSS, you continue to retain all ownership rights in such Content, and you continue to have the right to use your Content in any way you choose. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the MSS, you hereby grant to CatMacArt Corporation a limited license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Content solely on and through the MSS Services and related promotional
activity.
Hmm Dont give your work away,And I agree with Trenton they will make money off your work I'm sure ,may be small scale on your part but over all with every one posting on there and selectivly using images free of charge !? Not to sure I would give up any rites nomatter how "limited" they say it is

I was told about a competition that a site called www.myartspace.com is having for photographers. The jurors for the competition seem good including jurors from RISD, Sotheby's, and the National Portrait Gallery. The top prize of $2,000 and a feature in HotShoe International Magazine is also nice. However, I don't know much about this site and I've never entered an online art competition so I have some concerns. Have any of you entered their competitions in the past or online competitions in general? Is it worth entering? The fee does not look that bad considering that I can enter up to 20 images so that is just $1 per entry technically. It must be legit or else they would not have the jury pool that they have, right? I did read that they have had a group exhibit in the Chelsea district, NYC, for their members so they must have some good connections because that is a tight community to fit into. I'm just used to finding out about shoddy competitions on sites like www.deviantart.com to the point I'm wary of online competitions in general.

Here is a link to the details http://www.myartspace.com/hotshoe/
"ploy" I'm gonna say umm maybe solicitation ?

"ploy" I'm gonna say umm maybe solicitation ?

I thinking 'ploy' is pulling some BS spam and even reading about this is a waste of time.

This is pretty standard for an art competition. They always charge money to get into them. It is to cove costs of the jury and because all you have to do is submit pictures online, it also is to cover costs of printing, framing and matting if they show them. I have paid to get into competitions before. It is basically so that only serious people are going to submit.

Come on, really? The posters name is PLOY.

Nice try.

This is pretty standard for an art competition. They always charge money to get into them. It is to cove costs of the jury and because all you have to do is submit pictures online, it also is to cover costs of printing, framing and matting if they show them. I have paid to get into competitions before. It is basically so that only serious people are going to submit.

I got a great competition for you then! You enter 100 dollars, and I guarantee someone will win at LEAST 100 dollars! All you have to do is send the 100 dollars and your best strand of hair.

Don't you get it? Contests that charge a fee AREN'T contests. They are LOTTERIES. They use the entry fee to cover the cost of the contest, and are giving NOTHING away, in fact, most of the time actually turn a profit.

As a writer I've been through this many times with poetry. There is a well known company that does this, and prints a "book" of poems every year, which is basically just a collection of everyone who is willing to pay them 50 dollars up front. Of course your poem is selected as a finalist in their contest, and you should attend their GALA event (what a collection of suckers) at around 300 dollars a HEAD!

One year I submitted a poem to them ABOUT them, about phony contests and being ripped off... and guess what? It was selected as a finalist!

Well, the jurors are all real so if it was any kind of scam I doubt they would use prominent, and contactable, people.
If you think you might want to enter but think you should check it out first then why not get the e-mail address of a juror and ask if they are judging it?

Clare Freestone - Assistant Curator of Photographs, National Portrait Gallery, London
Clare Freestone was born in London and studied Fine Art at Wimbledon School of Art, graduating in 1999. She was appointed Assistant Curator of Photographs at the National Portrait Gallery in July 2000.
Projects have included cataloguing various aspects of the collection, in particular the archive of over 700 prints and 10,000 negatives taken by Ida Kar (1908-1974) covering the art scene in London and Paris in the 1950s. She has contributed towards the text and captions for a large number of temporary gallery displays including: Fergus Greer: Directors and Sixties Style: Photographs by Ward, Wharton and Seymour, both 2001.
She Bop: Women in Pop and Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed, 2002. Lichfield : The Early Years, British Blondes and Terry O’Neill: Celebrity, 2003. James Hunkin: Faces of Science and Bill Brandt: Portraits, 2004.
Clare also curated the displays DJs by Chris Lopez (2002) and Seizing the Moment: Photographs by Roger Mayne (2004).

http://www.sothebysinstitute.com/juliet_hacking_bio.html

http://www.horenstein.com/

Well, the jurors are all real so if it was any kind of scam I doubt they would use prominent, and contactable, people.
If you think you might want to enter but think you should check it out first then why not get the e-mail address of a juror and ask if they are judging it?

Clare Freestone - Assistant Curator of Photographs, National Portrait Gallery, London
Clare Freestone was born in London and studied Fine Art at Wimbledon School of Art, graduating in 1999. She was appointed Assistant Curator of Photographs at the National Portrait Gallery in July 2000.
Projects have included cataloguing various aspects of the collection, in particular the archive of over 700 prints and 10,000 negatives taken by Ida Kar (1908-1974) covering the art scene in London and Paris in the 1950s. She has contributed towards the text and captions for a large number of temporary gallery displays including: Fergus Greer: Directors and Sixties Style: Photographs by Ward, Wharton and Seymour, both 2001.
She Bop: Women in Pop and Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed, 2002. Lichfield : The Early Years, British Blondes and Terry O’Neill: Celebrity, 2003. James Hunkin: Faces of Science and Bill Brandt: Portraits, 2004.
Clare also curated the displays DJs by Chris Lopez (2002) and Seizing the Moment: Photographs by Roger Mayne (2004).

http://www.sothebysinstitute.com/juliet_hacking_bio.html

http://www.horenstein.com/

And you doubt that these people are getting paid for their time?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back