What do you think of my photo's?

A good photo is supposed to give someone a perspective they wouldn't or couldn't see.
says who? you?

there is a store here in Chicago that sells nothing but "snapshots" of the chicago skyline. they do quite well. if you dont like my photos, thats fine, you are entitled to your opinion. but I dont think you are the authority on what constitutes a "good photo"

On top of that, why would you ask for opinions on "unfinished" photos?
just looking for opinions dude. I'm not trying to win a contest here

One suggestion: you might begin to consider starting a new thread instead of adding photos to this one. Plus it is possible, allowed and even encouraged on here to post more than one photo in one post. Actually you can put as many as you like into one post, but make sure you put spaces between the links and (as soon as you post more than 3 pics in the same post) number your photos. Makes commenting so much easier.

But keep in mind that threads which are very picture-heavy (like my own tend to be :roll: ) take a lot of loading time for those viewers who are still on modem... Same applies to a thread with too many photos.

And it might well be that those who have looked into your thread once (when there only was the very first set of photos to be seen) will not look again. They don't know you have added so many more photos.
thanks for this. I was looking around in the FAQ's about posting pictures. is it best to take them down after a certain amount of time?

OK, but I have come again (and again) and find that out of the very last lot there are two that I like.
The aerial view holds an interest of its own that aerial views all do, but you really should work on them a bit to bring out the colours and contrasts and all!
And the close-up on the buildings with the moon in the sky is nice. I like that one. But that one, too, could "live" a bit more! Just a bit.
yup I intend too. at least you like one or 2. tough crowd around here :)

says who? you?

there is a store here in Chicago that sells nothing but "snapshots" of the chicago skyline. they do quite well. if you dont like my photos, thats fine, you are entitled to your opinion. but I dont think you are the authority on what constitutes a "good photo"

just looking for opinions dude. I'm not trying to win a contest here

Getting defensive I see... Now, you see... that happens to be an opinion, so ya, I do say.

Yes... people LOVE looking/buying at photos the average joe could have taken, I'm sure. Stop taking it so personal, like you said, you asked for opinions.

You have a long way to go. Take the criticism and DO something about it.

Getting defensive I see... Now, you see... that happens to be an opinion, so ya, I do say.
I'm not getting defensive. you said..

A good photo is supposed to give someone a perspective they wouldn't or couldn't see.
why do you get to choose what constitutes a "good photo" ?

lets say someone in china see my photos. they have never been to chicago or seen many pictures. arent they seeing something they wouldnt or couldnt see? they might think its a good photo, according to your definition, no?

Yes... people LOVE looking/buying at photos the average joe could have taken, I'm sure.
awesome. I agree.

You have a long way to go.
ok cool, i'm new to this, so I would agree I have some work to do.

Take the criticism and DO something about it.
then give me some constructive criticism. what exactly dont you like about my photos other then, they look like "snapshots" ? I like snapshots.

OK, some things that might help your photos not to look that much like a snapshot, although you say you like that look.
Watch your horizons.
Have them straight. Particularly when water is involved, else it might look like your frame will soon run dry ;).

Move your camera while composing the photo so the horizon either is in on the border to the upper third of your photo or on the border to the lower third. That depends on what you want to express: is the expanse of the sky important to you in the moment of taking the photo then put in more sky and only one third of "land". If it is the impression of town/countryside whatever that counts to you most, show only the upper third of sky. See?

Test it with your photos and you will SEE they look more interesting.
It is no rule. It is just something that has been found out in the so-and-so many thousand years that humanity has created art. It is more pleasing to the eye.

Upon planning your composition, watch for things that might be distractive.
If it cannot be avoided to get distractive things into your frame, crop the photo later.

I would never present unfinished photos along with saying that I hope to once make money with my photography, for doing that will bring you the reaction you are getting right now. You either work until your images are perfect to your eye and then present them to the public (like an internet forum, for example), or you come here and openly say: I still have much to learn, this is what I have got for the time being, what can I do to get better?

Unfortunately, mostly so in challenging everyone for their comments (not quite as positive as you had hoped they would be, I assume), you give off an air of superiority that unfortunately a good many of your photos don't have. Sorry to be so direct, but you seem to invite this directness.

As to the photos presented ... you can leave them on for as long as you want to leave them on your photo server. That is entirely up to you. You can leave them here ALWAYS. There are no rules for that.

OK, some things that might help your photos not to look that much like a snapshot, although you say you like that look.
Watch your horizons.
Have them straight. Particularly when water is involved, else it might look like your frame will soon run dry ;).

Move your camera while composing the photo so the horizon either is in on the border to the upper third of your photo or on the border to the lower third. That depends on what you want to express: is the expanse of the sky important to you in the moment of taking the photo then put in more sky and only one third of "land". If it is the impression of town/countryside whatever that counts to you most, show only the upper third of sky. See?

Test it with your photos and you will SEE they look more interesting.
It is no rule. It is just something that has been found out in the so-and-so many thousand years that humanity has created art. It is more pleasing to the eye.

Upon planning your composition, watch for things that might be distractive.
If it cannot be avoided to get distractive things into your frame, crop the photo later.
great information thank you.

I would never present unfinished photos along with saying that I hope to once make money with my photography, for doing that will bring you the reaction you are getting right now. You either work until your images are perfect to your eye and then present them to the public (like an internet forum, for example), or you come here and openly say: I still have much to learn, this is what I have got for the time being, what can I do to get better?
I guess I tried to convey this but did not do a good enough job.

Unfortunately, mostly so in challenging everyone for their comments (not quite as positive as you had hoped they would be, I assume), you give off an air of superiority that unfortunately a good many of your photos don't have. Sorry to be so direct, but you seem to invite this directness.
I definitely invite directness but I by no means feel a level of superiority.

As to the photos presented ... you can leave them on for as long as you want to leave them on your photo server. That is entirely up to you. You can leave them here ALWAYS. There are no rules for that.
cool thanks

I think so many pictures from many different people on this forum deaserve to pay more attention that the one you show us even if you consider you are close to become professional.

And just to give you an idea why you create such reaction, me included, understand that when you see somebody who comes on the ring saying I will become a boxing champion without looking very gifted and really interested, it can be quite funny or tragic depending on your mood.

Mat

I think so many pictures from many different people on this forum deaserve to pay more attention that the one you show us even if you consider you are close to become professional.
never said I am a professional. whats a professional anyway? do I need to do a few weddings before I consider myself a pro ?

And just to give you an idea why you create such reaction, me included, understand that when you see somebody who comes on the ring saying I will become a boxing champion without looking very gifted and really interested, it can be quite funny or tragic depending on your mood.

Mat
whats more tragic is fear of getting into the ring in the first place.

never said I am a professional. whats a professional anyway? do I need to do a few weddings before I consider myself a pro ?

whats more tragic is fear of getting into the ring in the first place.

No man what is tragic is to look more attracted by the bright of the gold that by the pleasure of passion.
That ' s my last word, let die this thread.

Mat

Theyre pretty decent, but only one really jumps out at me, thats in the 2nd group of pics, the one with the Aon Center/Prudential #2 with the moon in the BG. Thats a really nice shot, something different!

Chicago, pick one photo, and work on it until you consider it finished to the best of your ability, then post in the critique section. There are way too many photos here for us to tell you what we think, and you are not going to learn anything this way.

Theyre pretty decent, but only one really jumps out at me, thats in the 2nd group of pics, the one with the Aon Center/Prudential #2 with the moon in the BG. Thats a really nice shot, something different!
I have that one framed on my wall. it looks good. I took that while laying in my bed. I got lucky with the moon being there at that time.

thanks for your positive comment.

Chicago, pick one photo, and work on it until you consider it finished to the best of your ability, then post in the critique section. There are way too many photos here for us to tell you what we think, and you are not going to learn anything this way.
ok will do. I will start a new thread tonight after I do some editing. thanks

I have that one framed on my wall. it looks good. I took that while laying in my bed. I got lucky with the moon being there at that time.

thanks for your positive comment.

No prob! The pic is outstanding. :thumbup: Must be nice to have a room with a view like that. :hail:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back