what do you think of paparazzi??

what i dont get is this. If i would take a pic of someone walking down the street and would have it printed for sale, i would need a contract or some sort. The papper take a pic, can get some good money for it and they dont need a model release or something. How does that work? Cant they be sued for that alone?

It's because celebrities (other than Princess Caroline of Monaco, mind ... or "of Hanvoer", as she is now) have lost their right to privacy. In becoming (or being born) a celebrity of whichever kind (royalty, nobility, heir/-ess, singer, actor, dancer, sportsperson), their personal status changes in so far as they are more "public people" than you and I are!

When my daughter was only very little, 3 years old or so, she wanted to become a princess in life (many girls do, don't they?). But at that time, there was a total craze going on about Princess Diana ... which ended like it did, we all know how. Despite her being so little, Sabine soon after decided she did NO LONGER want to become a princess "because it is too terrible to have all the photographers run behind me all the time". Yes. That was her statement.

I prefer to be a nobody and not being bothered.

And I wonder if I personally would really take "that one pic of Britney in the gutter", or if I wouldn't much rather pick her up and help her, NOT making any money out of it?

We once had a documentary on German TV on a paparazzo in Florida (I think it was), and how he was "on the prowl" all the time, day and night. Information on who was sighted where or who was going to soon leave this or that house got to him ... somehow, I don't think I ever understood HOW, for one paparazzo would certainly NOT inform the next about insider information he has just obtained! Anyhow, he would hear something and speed through Miami (or so) to get to the mentioned location first (which this featured one never did), waiting, waiting, waiting, oftentimes for a photo op that never came (because Mr or Mrs Celebrity walked out of a back door or so).

That documentary showed that many of them do NOT make the big money at the snap of their fingers. For many it is a 16-hour job FULL of frustrations, since for days, weeks, months they might not get THE photo, or they take one, and the editor of the paper does not publish it.

Though, sure enough, should they ever land THE photo, they make big money out of just that.

Having said all this, it is no plea IN FAVOUR of paparazzi. I am only just telling you what that documentary showed. I don't want to say they actually ALL are poor hard-working photographers, for the PHOTOGRAPHY aspect of their whole job seems geared towards NILL...

And I find most of what they want to capture distasteful. Nothing against a bit of reading up on the princes and princesses of the world when I have to wait at the hairdressers and look at how much their kids have grown ... given those photos are arranged sessions (which they sometimes do in a sort of press conference session).

But those blurred telephoto lens pics of a (known to many) person either just living a normal life (wearing ordinary everyday clothes like any of us would do when we go about our daily chores), and the text saying "Now he/she clearly is on the decline, don't you all see?", or said known-to-many person in distress is just ...

...distasteful to the max!

One of the things to remember as well is that at least in some cases, I'd be willing to bet these stars are not "captured" in these pictures so much as they are "arranged" to be in the right place at the right time.

I've heard folks on the radio who work for some of the magazines talk about how certain stars don't really go to any lengths at all, and sometimes tell folks where they will be, so they can be assured of having their pictures taken.

Good evidence of this is the fact that, how many pictures do you really see of George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, who are big stars, compared to the number you see of Lindsay Lohan, and Brittany Spears.

i totally agree with this lots of stars have people who inform the papps here they will be eating that night.

and if they eat in the restaurants that have papps outside what do they expect.

any publicity is good publicity.

BTW, I have stumbled into international celebrities a couple of times (musicians, actors ...). I mean close contact as in within an arms length.

I never got out my camera and took a picture since I would have felt rather ... maybe low or primitive is the right word here..

who alex who. im a gossip junkie.:lol:

So that means you directly feed them with money, and they feed you with the gossip.

well, I am not asking to explain the fascination to me, since I will probably never understand.

I like gossip, but only when it is related to people I know personally or people that influence my life in a way or another.

nice to be talking to you again alex;)

we may be different people but thats what makes the world go aound:thumbup:

First you can photograph anyone that is news worthy without a model release, which brings me to this. Paparazzi are just barely over the line from a photo journalist, yet they are over that line. Do you think the elected official accused of wrong doings feels any different than the celebs do about being photographed while their lives swirl around the porcelian bowl. I know two guys who used to be paparazzi and one now works for a reputable national magazine and the other a large newspaper in my area. Now that said I would never sit outside someone's home or climb a tree outside their fence or even follow them for a tenth of a mile for a picture to sell. But if I did stumble upon the 'drunk Britney' in the street I would call that news worthy and shoot the picture. In my town I came across Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban in a local restaurant just after his stay in rehab. Had my camera out and with me for other reasons. They looked like they were having a quiet sunday breakfast. Nothing news worthy, so I never lifted the camera to my eye and until now never even thought of why I didn't.

But if I did stumble upon the 'drunk Britney' in the street I would call that news worthy and shoot the picture.

I'd probably not recognize her then!

I think before we blame the consumers we have to ask, "Did the consumers approach the magazines and ask for 'drunk shots of Britney,' or did the magazines place the shots and create a new interest in the consumers?"

Anyone with a working knowledge of advertising history knows that the latter is almost always the case. More often than not, successful businesses CREATE a desire, they don't simply cater to an existing one. The tabloids introduced the idea of celebrity gossip and the photos that accompany them...the consumers just absorbed it.

Back to the question of paparazzi, I don't consider them photographers. Have you ever seen a "good" photo done by any of these hacks? As subjective as "good" is, it's near impossible to distinguish a paparazzi photo from that of a disposable camera.

There is a TV show on FX called dirt, and it is about the papper's. Typically the celebs so called friends or people in their inner circle gives up the dirt on the celebs, which is why they have a semi truthful story to tell. But like it was mentioned before there are a ton of pappers out there and only a few that get that info that leads to a possible gold shot. And to get those shots, the papp's hung out in trees, garbage, in their cars, anything to get that shot.
Doesn't matter how good the money possibly is, I couldn't do it for a living. And in the matter of Britney and the gutter, I think I would actually take the picture, and then help her up and get her help. But I don't know what I would really do until the situation arose.

One of the things to remember as well is that at least in some cases, I'd be willing to bet these stars are not "captured" in these pictures so much as they are "arranged" to be in the right place at the right time.

I've heard folks on the radio who work for some of the magazines talk about how certain stars don't really go to any lengths at all, and sometimes tell folks where they will be, so they can be assured of having their pictures taken.

Good evidence of this is the fact that, how many pictures do you really see of George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, who are big stars, compared to the number you see of Lindsay Lohan, and Brittany Spears.

George Clooney doesn't do crack, get drunk, have several children, get fake boobs, drive drunk, go insane, or go out in a dress with no panties.

Oh, and not to mention he isn't a female...

Nobody cares, because he's not doing anything wrong...

George Clooney doesn't do crack, get drunk, have several children, get fake boobs, drive drunk, go insane, or go out in a dress with no panties.

Oh, and not to mention he isn't a female...

Nobody cares, because he's not doing anything wrong...

Hey but "everyone" cares about what Brad Pitt is doing. I guess because he is still stuck in the middle of Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie. And he has kids.. But other than that he doesn't do anything wrong, but you get a shot of him, or Angie and that is a good money shot.
You would think with all of the publicity shots that they do, the papp wouldn't be so strung out to get so many shots of them.

My mom was watching this thing about paparrazi and brittney spears . One of the guys that stalks her is a guy that took one of the best pictures i have ever seen and it won the pultizer award for a diasaster zone of this mother and little baby. And then they went on to say that he now gets his money being a stalkaratze. He said that he gets more money for it.

I think its disgusting someone should follow a paparatzi person around see how they like. Im sure that they would call the cops.

Most reactions

Back