What do you think of these pictures ?

eugene_jenea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
genutsu.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I can only wonder how would they look like if I had a professional camera like a Canon 7D, for instance. How do you think they would look like ?

Tell me everything you think, com' on, I can take it :)

P.S. Some of them were taken with a Kodak z1275 while others with a Kodak C875.

Attachments

• $100_6330.JPG
    $100_6330.JPG
    739.8 KB · Views: 208
  • $100_6251.JPG
    $100_6251.JPG
    960.2 KB · Views: 215
  • $100_0339.jpg
    $100_0339.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 202
  • $100_6266.JPG
    $100_6266.JPG
    539.1 KB · Views: 217
  • $100_6467.jpg
    $100_6467.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 248
  • $100_6483.jpg
    $100_6483.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 194
  • $100_6509.jpg
    $100_6509.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 200
  • $100_6528.jpg
    $100_6528.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 172
  • $100_6540.jpg
    $100_6540.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 183
  • $100_6566.jpg
    $100_6566.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
Last edited:
I'm not qualified to critique, but #1 is my favorite. Like the composition. Wonder if you can get rid of the dead tree branch in upper left corner?

Well to start off, you have too many pictures. You are basically showcasing the pics and no one will comment.

If you want comments and critique, please post 1-2 pics only, this gives members more time to look at a singe image and really come to a conclusion about the photo.

No body is going to spend a half hour looking and critiquing 11 pictures in one post...

they are just pictures, like anyone with your camera would take.
the composition is off on most, the subject is centered.
there is nothing personal or original or particularly interesting about them.

photography is both a craft and a skill mediated by talent.

Without knowledge, skill and practice, you have the vaguely same chance of taking a good, original, interesting picture as you would sitting down at a piano and playing a Chopin Polonaise without lessons or practice.

Your camera is doing 99% of the work and your first finger does the rest.

I'm not qualified to critique, but #1 is my favorite. Like the composition. Wonder if you can get rid of the dead tree branch in upper left corner?

no one is qualified to critique so don't worry about that, thanks, good to know, i think it's possible if i go to london and retake the picture :D or if i work a lot in photoshop which would ruin the picture :)

they are just pictures, like anyone with your camera would take.
the composition is off on most, the subject is centered.
there is nothing personal or original or particularly interesting about them.

photography is both a craft and a skill mediated by talent.

Without knowledge, skill and practice, you have the vaguely same chance of taking a good, original, interesting picture as you would sitting down at a piano and playing a Chopin Polonaise without lessons or practice.

Your camera is doing 99% of the work and your first finger does the rest.

That was harsh but I'll take it like a man :) Those picture were taken with a compact camera, I just was wondering if these pictures show potential since I barely have any experience with both, compact camera and DSLRs.

Well to start off, you have too many pictures. You are basically showcasing the pics and no one will comment.

If you want comments and critique, please post 1-2 pics only, this gives members more time to look at a singe image and really come to a conclusion about the photo.

No body is going to spend a half hour looking and critiquing 11 pictures in one post...

Well, first of all, there are 10, second of all, I asked for a general opinion, i don't need a review for each of these pictures. But thanks for your input, it counts too.

There is no substitute for learning the fundamentals of visual image composition and photographic technical implications.

The images would look exactly the same with a "professional" DSLR like a 7D or even an outdated entry level DSLR if you just turned it on and let it do the work and clicked.
The beauty of a DSLR is the fact that you have to learn to balance every element of the photo and NOT let the camera do it.
You can't just turn on a DSLR and get amazing, different, high quality images. It has the same brain in it with the same basic programming as your point and shoots and does the exact same things to make a picture in it's auto mode.

I REALLY LIKED the one tall shot of the yellow rose bloom, surrounded by buds...very nicely done!

If I HAD to pick one, it might be #1. The reflections are kind'a symmetrical, but I'm not even sure that was intentional.
You're buildings are leaning in all different directions.
The light colored roses are not the nicest specimens and the red rose is blown out.

Sorry I can't be more positive, but you need to take what you learned here and apply it next time. That's the nicest thing about digital, even the smallest trash can holds infinite mistakes.

no one is qualified to critique...

I disagree. Many people here and elsewhere are very qualified to critique. Indeed, criticism is what you asked of us.

For me, the photo that most stands out is #8. The imagery is clearly sexual, more female than male in my eyes, and not subtle. If it were my shot to do over, I'd work on better exposure at street level, better sky, and getting a composition without the crane thing on the side of the tower.

Well, the good news is that you ARE seeing interesting stuff, and recognizing the potential image. Now comes the hard part - translating that vision to something that will impress others. This is where you use exposure control, perspective, framing, aperture, etc. to isolate the part that you want to emphasize, and place it in the frame so that we have no doubt about what you want us to look at, but at the same time, be subtle enough that we want to explore the image. When you know what you need to do, a nice camera will be a good tool to help you reach that goal. But unless you are able to meaningfully direct that tool to achieve your vision, the images you get will be the result of some nameless technician in a far away land programming in the settings and hoping he/she got it right most of the time.

Would have to agree with the_traveler. Poor composition on most and generally lacking facets of interest (not to mention issues with exposure). Plus one re what MleeK said. These same images taken with better glass and more resolution would still be uninspired and lacking composition. These photos share many characteristics with many camera rolls from any smart phone being wielded by someone who hasn't put much thought into what they're shooting. No offense intended by any of the above comments. Just giving an honest response to what appears to be a question from a person seeking honesty.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back