What Do You Think Of This B&W Conversion?

DavidSR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just let me know what you think.

Thanks guys!

Before
AidanWeb2.jpg

After
AidanWeb.jpg

Last edited:
it looks good but it would probley help if u added the before B&W conversion so people can compare the two

Thanks! Just added the original to the 1st post.

Last edited:
Great conversion! Nothing to criticize really.

Nothing about the conversion, really. I would say that his face/head looks a little OOF though, just a tad soft. I enjoy the picture too much to notice though.

Thanks again! I might have missed focus a little or it might be a little motion blur from him swinging.

I agree, I like the picture and conversion is good. Not sure if you were asking for comments on anything else, but I think if you could have found an angle or another swing without the cars in the background, it would have been better. They are blurred out enough to not be distracting, but an even simpler background would be better IMO.

Not sure if you were asking for comments on anything else, but I think if you could have found an angle or another swing without the cars in the background, it would have been better..

I heard this exact same thing in another forum that I'm a member of. I'm going to try and take some more shots this weekend. This time I'll look more carefully at my background.

Thanks for the comment!

I agree, I like the picture and conversion is good. Not sure if you were asking for comments on anything else, but I think if you could have found an angle or another swing without the cars in the background, it would have been better. They are blurred out enough to not be distracting, but an even simpler background would be better IMO.

I agree. I find the cars in the background a bit bothersome. But great conversion other wise.

The problem here is that there is an object behind your subject that is pulling the eyes away because it's a lot brighter than him, and his face in particular. Because black and white images rely on tonality to let the eyes find the subject, you need to makes sure that the point that stands out-- ie the brightest point, usually-- is your subject.

The best way to approach doing this is to move to the oft forgotten crucial tool of the photographer and the black and white printer in particular-- dodging and burning. Because you have image-edit as 'ok' I took the liberty of making a quick and dirty demonstration image. Maybe not what you're looking for in the image but just my $0.02.

401625437_k9Y8V-L.jpg

Sorry I didn't see your edit sooner! But I think it looks great! Did you just dodge and burn? What parts in particular? Thanks!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back