What do you think of this? (Notre Dame Basilica)

Having shot there a few times using both film and digital, I would say that this shot is over-saturated with too much contrast but then perhaps that was intentional on your part going after mood rather than detail and a more accurate reproduction of the lighting. I notice that it also seems to be slightly soft due to perhaps slight camera movement and a some distortion as well due to the a combination of the focal length of the lens and your camera position.

skieur

This looks like disneyland.

Having shot there a few times using both film and digital, I would say that this shot is over-saturated with too much contrast but then perhaps that was intentional on your part going after mood rather than detail and a more accurate reproduction of the lighting. I notice that it also seems to be slightly soft due to perhaps slight camera movement and a some distortion as well due to the a combination of the focal length of the lens and your camera position.

skieur
Yes, that is what I was going for. I tried shorter shutter speeds but it just wasn't working for me. You're right that it is slightly out of focus. It was nearly impossible to keep the camera still considering what it was mounted on.

I have plans to head back to Montreal for New Years. This time I'll have the T1i, more experience, a better understanding of what I want and how to do it, and less care for being "that one dude with the tripod and big camera". Meaning I will set up in the center aisle and not care :lol:

Thanks for your comments.

This looks like disneyland.

You mean the disneyland castle? Yeah, I kind of see it.

One tip though... never work off your originals... and you can see why.
Would you mind explaining this? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

You said something about not having the originals... I ASSUMED this meant you edited the file and saved over the original... which is bad... because you have ruined the source image and you can never go back. I may have assumed incorrectly, however.

One tip though... never work off your originals... and you can see why.
Would you mind explaining this? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

You said something about not having the originals... I ASSUMED this meant you edited the file and saved over the original... which is bad... because you have ruined the source image and you can never go back. I may have assumed incorrectly, however.

I think I said in the post that the reason I didn't have the originals was because they were on a separate hard drive that I don't have with me right now. So in other words, yes I still have the originals.

Personally, for a p&s with no tripod...I think it is a pretty darned good photo. When I first saw it, I thought it was HD.

I prefer the faked original to the first shot. The saturation was just too much. I agree though that a nice centered shot would have looked much cooler. Doesn't mean that its completely terrible. It could be a decent documentary/journalistic shot if you were doing a piece on the church, assuming the saturation was dialed back. It looks ever so slightly crooked to me too. Maybe its just me.

It looks ever so slightly crooked to me too. Maybe its just me.
It is. Just barely. I can fix that in post but again, I didn't have much to work with :thumbdown:
Thanks for the comments.

I love it. I also agree on it being an awesome place to try a hdr. Thats the first thing I thought of. I also don't know why people always complain about pictures looking fake. Who cares if it does. If the picture looks awesome it looks awesome whether it is fake or not.

I love it. I also agree on it being an awesome place to try a hdr. Thats the first thing I thought of. I also don't know why people always complain about pictures looking fake. Who cares if it does. If the picture looks awesome it looks awesome whether it is fake or not.
I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, just a statement of fact. That's the way i see it anyway.

Thanks for your comment.

I just feel like people especially on HDR shots look down on shots that look fake. But I personally think a lot of the time that fake looking photo looks awesome. Just my two sense worth.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back